[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2013 Reflections, Cookbook and committee pulse

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Mon Nov 25 02:05:02 PST 2013

Folks,
there is work to do for the Conference Committee:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Current_Members

But I am not sure whether it has the vigor to actually get them done. So
I have a few questions aiming to take the committee's pulse so that we
can decide whether things will get done or what else we need to do to
get them Done Done.

* Who is going to take the lead to merge the great input from the FOSS4G
2013 Reflections into the FOSS4G Cookbook? Or maybe they  are fine side
by side?

* Is the conference committee the right place to coordinate events all
around the world?

This explicitly includes regional events - not only FOSS4G global. As
said before we need a place where all this comes together for simple
reasons:
* avoid conflicts
* get better coverage
* help events spread word by adding them to global and localized events
in the OSGeo calendar
* add news for CfP and similar

* Take ownership of FOSS4G (this seems to be so contentious that I am
going to bring it up again and again, maybe it is time for a blog on the
topic?)

The Conference Committee currently "only" seems to issue a yearly CfL
for the global FOSS4G event and manage the selection process. If so who
is going to address the above - and probably more issues as we go? Can
we move these decision processes to the Local Chapters list - which is
not even a committee?

Please answer with +1 to any and each of the above if you feel this is
in your remit (and you are going to invest some time!). And if we get
less than x +1 we know there is a need for something else - whatever
that may be.

This call is open for a week or so.

Have fun,
Arnulf

- --
Arnulf Christl (Director)
The metaspatial Institute Certification:
Open Source - Open Data - Open Standards
http://www.metaspatial.net/en/institute