[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Apr 14 11:19:39 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:06 AM, David Percy <percyd at pdx.edu> wrote:
> I could see a free conference pass, for sure!
>
> But travel expenses? That seems a bit much.
>
> In the end it comes out of the amount generated for the OSGeo general fund
> from the conference.
>
> Thus, I think it *is* a board decision...

The Board can do well delegating these issues to the Conference
Committee, that is the point of the committees, detailed examination
of specific issues that the Board has a broad interest in.  Whether
the Conference Committee actually decides or recommends a decision
that the Board then briefly reviews and approves doesn't really
matter.

> And, is it airfare + hotel + per diem? or some lesser combination of these
> items?
> Just airfare and hotel could be ~ $3000 - 4000. That is kind of "in the
> noise" of a budget so big, so maybe it's not a big deal...
> :-)
> Percy
>
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM, Darrell Fuhriman <darrell at garnix.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> This has never been the case, AFAIK.
>>
>> d.
>>

>> On Apr 13, 2015, at 05:47, Bart van den Eijnden <bartvde at osgis.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Hello conference committee,
>>
>> should the below be clarified in the RFP or is this already the case?

It could be clarified in the RFP although LOCs already have wide
latitude in their own budget.  One of my goals for deciding the
location with more time in advance was that things like this are
easier to plan.

>> Best regards,
>> Bart
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> Date: 13 Apr 2015 14:12:01 CEST
>> From: Jeff McKenna <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>
>> To: board at lists.osgeo.org
>> Subject: Re: [Board] next year's representative at FOSS4G Conference
>>
>> It should be included in the FOSS4G local committee's budget (so in fact
>> you could consider that we/Board already support it, as we are the providers
>> of the seed money).  For example, the 2016 group should budget for a rep at
>> 2015 event.
>>
>> You might also send your message to the OSGeo Conference Committee, as it
>> really isn't a Board responsibility.
>>
>> -jeff
>>

>> On 2015-04-13 9:06 AM, Bart van den Eijnden wrote:
>>
>> Hello board,
>>
>> do we have any policy in place currently for making it possible for
>> somebody from next years’s conference to attend the FOSS4G conference and
>> represent their conference there?
>>
>> If not, would it not make sense to have something in place like a travel
>> allowance and free conference pass (exact package TBD)?

Generally, I'm opposed to complex discount pass mandates on the LOCs.
As Jeff points out, there is little distinction in the funds since
OSGeo/FOSS4G YYYY/FOSS4G YYYY+1 funds are all the same thing.  For
PDX, in the cases that we were aware of, we tried to provide free
passes rather than have someone pay their own registration, submit
paperwork to OSGeo for reimbursement and then have the OSGeo Treasurer
send a check, banking fees incurred all along the way.  Depending on
the scale, this might eventually impact the amount of seed money that
the LOC needs since the LOC does have real bills that it needs to pay.

The LOC has to address a number of issues like this that might
eventually be better handled by an OSGeo Travel Grant and Scholarship
Committee.

Best regards, Eli