[OSGeo-Conf] liability

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Jun 23 22:33:20 PDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 3:30 PM, Cameron Shorter
<cameron.shorter at gmail.com> wrote:
> The OSGeo Board guaranteed most earlier global foss4g events (with the
> exception of the failed Beijing event). Luckily all the sponsored events
> have been profitable.
>
> The board addressed this topic or guarantees a few years back, and collated
> into:
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Conferences_and_related_events
> referenced from: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Handbook#Guarantees
>
> Conferences are financially risky events. They need to be planned well in
> advance, and you are never sure how many people will turn up, or whether
> some global event will have a substantial impact on registrations.
> Consequently, conferences such as FOSS4G require financial guarantees up
> front in order to secure a venue. To support and enable these conferences,
> OSGeo will endevour to retain sufficient capital to offer such guarantees
> for any FOSS4G event requesting it. If OSGeo's support is requested, then
> OSGeo would expect these events to budget for a modest profit under
> conservative estimates, and for OSGeo to retain profits from such events. To
> date, such profits, while relatively modest, have been OSGeo's primary
> income source.

The 2015 RFP (http://svn.osgeo.org/osgeo/foss4g/rfp/2015/osgeo-conference-2015-request-for-proposal.odt)
said,

"Support by OSGeo

Generally speaking it is anticipated that the conference effort will
be split into a local organizing committee responsible for all work on
venues, and the OSGeo Conference committee. Traditionally the local
conference committee did almost all the work, with the international
steering committee providing external advice, and some support.
Ultimately the success of the event depends on a strong local
conference committee that can pull everything together.

OSGeo will take on financial responsibility, including bridge funding
and absorbing shortfalls, should attendance fall short of conservative
budgeted estimates (to be agreed on early in the planning process)."

To me, the above is abundantly clear.

As to Conference Committee Policy, it is not policy unless it is voted
on and passed by the committee, people voicing their opinions doesn't
make it the Conference Committee Policy.

Conference Committee: should we pass a motion to the effect:

--------------------

"The OSGeo Conference Committee recommends that the OSGeo Board
affirms the RFP statement for 2015 and subsequent years:

'Support by OSGeo

Generally speaking it is anticipated that the conference effort will
be split into a local organizing committee responsible for all work on
venues, and the OSGeo Conference committee. Traditionally the local
conference committee did almost all the work, with the international
steering committee providing external advice, and some support.
Ultimately the success of the event depends on a strong local
conference committee that can pull everything together.

OSGeo will take on financial responsibility, including bridge funding
and absorbing shortfalls, should attendance fall short of conservative
budgeted estimates (to be agreed on early in the planning process).'

as well as the previously existing Board Policy,
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_of_Directors#Conferences_and_related_events

To me this is somewhat unnecessary and already the case and no one has
provided actual evidence that this is not already the case.  However,
if there is confusion, we can pass a motion asking the Board to affirm
this as correct which should at least end the confusion.

Best regards, Eli