[OSGeo-Conf] liability

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Tue Jun 30 19:54:08 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 7:43 PM, Eli Adam <eadam at co.lincoln.or.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 4:26 AM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sorry to return to this again:
>>
>> "OSGeo will take on financial responsibility, including bridge funding and
>> absorbing shortfalls, should attendance fall short of conservative budgeted
>> estimates (to be agreed on early in the planning process)” or similar
>> statements sound fine but they have no precise meaning unless they are
>> underpinned by a contractual relationship between OSGeo and the LOC. In
>> some, if not most, cases the LOC itself has no legal status and so a
>> contract could require individuals to enter into that relationship. This
>
> Yes, there is a contract each year.  My understanding is that the
> contract leaves all or most of the risk on OSGeo.  (Maybe we should
> find the contract and read it? Or ask the Board to have a legal review
> and advice.)
>
>> also implies that someone from OSGeo (either a board or a conference
>> committee member) will have some oversight of the conference planning and
>> finances. A professional conference organiser might solve these concerns.
>
> Implying things in contracts isn't a sign of a good lawyer.  If the
> contract doesn't specify Board or other OSGeo representative oversight
> over conference planning and finances than it isn't in the contract.
> This might not be a good idea but to be otherwise, the contract would
> need to specify.  I prefer the LOCs to have wide latitude and think
> that much more oversight than the existing loose oversight would be
> detrimental.

The RFP has some language about OSGeo Board oversight on finances:

Establishing the Local Organizing Committee
Following the committee's decision, there is a process of establishing
a local organizing committee (LOC) which will include both local
organizers and representatives of OSGeo. The LOC will be expected to
operate within a budget framework to be approved by the OSGeo board.

Eli