[OSGeo-Conf] How to handle conflict of interests?

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at mapsherpa.com
Tue Nov 10 04:48:33 PST 2015

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for the question about this.

I appreciate that having LocationTech as PCO is different than in the past - but underlying this has to be trust.

No partnership, relationship of any kind (personal, organizational or commercial) exists without conflict - but it’s trust that gets the relationship through it.

We and Philadelphia each came to a conclusion that we trusted LocationTech to act as PCO in good faith to meet the objectives of OSGeo and this conference, based on their track record of being a very good community citizen.

I’d suggest that any of these bids will have to deal with conflict, including managing their respective PCOs. The LOC is here to manage any conflict in a manner that best serves the interest of OSGeo and putting on a successful event.

I appreciate that some may have reservations about LocationTech’s involvement — concerns that I don’t share, but I respect the fact they are out there. At the end of the day, whichever bid is selected here will be the one that on th whole the committee feels has the best chance of success, with trust being a core part of that.

Regardless of who gets selected here — we start that process with everyone heading in the same direction, common goals, with the confidence we can address issues as they come up, because putting on a great show at the end of the day is in everyone’s interest.

Thanks,

Dave