[OSGeo-Conf] Time to decide on FOSS4G NA 2017

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Mon Feb 22 07:40:30 PST 2016

*Full disclosure, I will be the incoming Conference Chair for the Global
FOSS4G 2017 event to be held in Boston from August 14-18, 2017.*

As promised, I’m back from holiday and have been able to better synch with
our BLOC and would like to take the opportunity to more fully and formally
this serious issue forward for discussion; indeed, there should be a common
understanding of if/how Global and North American events should be
“coordinated” when the international rotation brings the Global event to
North America.

Ultimately, we do hope and urge that a springtime FOSS4GNA event does
*not* happen
in 2017. The following provides the thinking behind this position.

In re-reading the thread just about everything I was intending to write has
been posted by someone, or another. Ultimately, this thread is a reminder
of what’s best and powerful about the OSGeo/FOSS4G community. The
discussions may be imperfect in some ways, but they are always open,
thoughtful and reflect a desire for consensus. And indeed, it seems a
consensus is potentially forming on this topic.

First, a quick listing of opinions from other writers that we share:

   - +1 to Rob Emanuel’s observation that this is a time to avoid “any
   force of schism” and that rather 2017 is a huge opportunity for the
   community “to come together”.
   - +1 to Cameron Shorter’s very concise enumeration of what several
   people echoed in other posts: “two major FOSS4G events in the same country
   would weaken both events.”
   - +1 to several writers who observed that precedent holds that regional
   events generally cede to the Global event when it is on the same continent
   (e.g., there was no FOSS4GNA in 2014 in lieu of Portland; no FOSS4G Asia in
   2015 in lieu of Seoul; and no FOSS4G EU in 2016 in lieu of Bonn) with the
   few exceptions being for non-English language regional conferences.
   - +1 to Randy Hale’s clear enumeration of the small business-person’s,
   or independent attendee’s dilemma, in having only so much time or budget
   available and needing to choose one, or the other, if there were two events.
   - +1 to both Robert Cheetham’s and Jody Garnett's superb ideas on seeing
   an opportunity for new, focused types of geo open source events that can
   complement the bigger FOSS4G and FOSS4GNA events (e.g., Civic oriented open
   source; Big geo data oriented open source; etc.)

With these things said, I’d also like to address a couple of the additional
points that Andrea referenced in her post from last Friday, Feb. 19.

   - It is terrific that FOSS4GNA 2015 achieved such a great participation
   rate from women. It was an important accomplishment. I think all would
   agree that diversity in attendance and speakers is a key goal; and the
   Boston team shares this view, and we wrote on this in our proposal to
   OSGeo. We have our own ideas on how to spur diversity and do not believe
   that “free all access passes to all speakers” is necessarily the only way
   to advance this important
   ​objective
    (and we have not ruled out pricing and free passes as a tool to this
   end).
   - We agree and are counting on east coast participation being an
   important part of our attendance base. At the same time, we hope not to
   lose the 10% (or whatever it turns out to be) participation of US attendees
   who may be prepared to travel cross-country but choose not to because they
   have a nearer-to-home option. We are planning on vigorous nationwide
   marketing for participation, and we hope to work with our international
   friends to encourage attendance and have this be the largest FOSS4G to date
   (and we hope that Bonn sets a new record for attendance in 2016!).
   - Yes, we are aware that Boston is a relatively expensive city and that
   our hotel block rate was $260 (for 2 beds and double occupancy). At the
   same time, Boston’s costs are a function of its popularity and amenities
   and we believe interest in Boston and the New England region will help
   drive attendance. And, as we wrote in our proposal, there will be numerous
   lodging options beyond the hotel block that will provide more affordable
   lodging; from hostels to AirBnB to lower cost hotels outside the city but
   accessible by public transportation.

In the end, we love Eddie Pickle’s vision (that Robert Cheetham recounted
in his post) of FOSS4G being among the most major geo gatherings, bar none.
I have also heard Eddie relay this vision and coincidentally I will be
meeting with him this coming Thursday in Washington, DC to further
understand his ideas for *realizing* this vision. We see no reason why
FOSS4G shouldn’t be the #2 geo event on the planet (and it is already the
*best* one). As Robert wrote, over time, and as the gap narrows between the
10-15x difference between the Esri User Conference attendance and a growing
FOSS4G attendance there will come a time where it will “be desirable to
have sub-events that remain of substantive size…” But I would also agree
that we are not there yet.

The Boston Team needs and strongly wants the full support of the North
American community to help continue the momentum of stronger and stronger
FOSS4G events. Together and with a singular focus we can do great things to
make FOSS4G 2017 the largest and best possible event.

We thank everyone for this important discussion and also for your future
support.

And in the meantime, we are looking forward to supporting a fantastic slate
of 2016 events with FOSS4GNA in Raleigh, NC in May, and Global FOSS4G in
Bonn in August.

Sincerely,

MT & the BLOC

*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108
www.AppGeo.com

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise