[OSGeo-Conf] 2017 Boston agreement & seed funding - IMPORTANT

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Tue Mar 8 12:42:37 PST 2016

Totally fair questions. Here's where these things came from:

   - *Regarding the "advance" and the guarantee:* We followed the form of
   how Bonn was setup. In the Bonn template "schedule" that was shared with us
   there was $57,500 for the "advance" and $57,500 for the "additional
   guarantee". Then the schedule identified $115,000 for the "Maximum total
   OSGeo financial exposure.".  The previous threads had identified our total
   "maximum advance" as $70,000 (that we would seek in two installments).
   Since the "additional guarantee" had not been discussed explicitly I
   followed the "Bonn model" and had the additional guarantee match the
   advance payment, i.e., the $70,000; for a total exposure of $140,000. If
   that's not appropriate, or the "additional guarantee"; or "total exposure"
   needs to back down we will figure it out with your guidance.
   - *Regarding the "legal" language:* In reviewing the Bonn agreement we
   were both pleased and a little surprised that there weren't more "terms and
   conditions". We're all for simplicity and clarity. That said, our PCO,
   Delaney Meeting & Event Management (DMEM) made these suggestions as they
   will be a signatory to the agreement. In short, these are common sense
   protections that are routine in almost all contracts. We certainly
   understand and respect your potential need to have additional review, and
   we certainly reviewed the language but did not feel that engaging legal
   counsel was necessary due to the fact that these clauses are so commonplace
   (i.e., I have seen this language many times before) and because they
   protect both parties to the agreement. Here's my layman's summary of what
   they mean and why they are important (and this is in *no way* is
   designed to dissuade you from getting the reviews OSGeo thinks are
   necessary):
   1. *Mitigation Clause/Force Majeure:* If something terrible and beyond
      the control of either of us happens (e.g., crazy weather; terrorism that
      locks down travel; etc.) that causes the event to be cancelled
late in the
      game, there is a means to do that. As per later in the document, we will
      have "cancellation insurance" so that if this happens neither party loses
      already spent $'s.
      2. *Indemnification*: Is a mutual protection that if *either party* is
      acting in bad faith or shows negligence or blatant incompetence, that
      causes damage and as a result the other party (i.e., the one that did not
      cause the problem) is sued, the party at fault is responsible for those
      damages and must *indemnify* the non-responsible party.
      3. *Arbitration:* If there is a dispute, this clause indicates that
      it will be resolved through arbitration, as opposed to a lawsuit.
      Arbitration is generally a quicker and less costly process (at
least in the
      USA).
      4. *Event insurance*: We will obtain insurance to cover both
      cancellation exposure and liability that may result from this event. This
      is commonplace and our PCO is familiar with these types of policies and
      affordable means of obtaining them. These costs are included in
our budget.

Even with these additions, this agreement remains very lean. Obviously, we
do not want to add unnecessary complexity or slow things down. Rather, our
intent is to have a solid agreement that protects both parties and helps to
cement a productive and collaborative partnership.

Please let us know if there's any other information you require; or
anything else we can do to clarify things. If this needs more thorough and
time consuming review we regret that, but also accept it.

Please let us know what comes next, and in particular whether we should
revise our request for the size of the "additional guarantee".

Thanks to all for the work you're putting into this...

MT

*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108
www.AppGeo.com
*Please come to Boston for Global FOSS4G 2017: **http://2017.foss4g.org/
<http://2017.foss4g.org/>*

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise
authorized to receive this message, you should not use, copy, distribute,
disclose or take any action based on the information contained in this
e-mail or any attachments. If you have received this message and material
in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
this message. Thank you on behalf of Applied Geographics, Inc. (AppGeo).