[OSGeo-Conf] Conference committee members

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Mar 14 12:02:39 PDT 2016

Steven,

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:
> At the moment I can see 4 statements or votes in favour of Maxi being included on the conference committee (Venka, Eli, Cameron and Dave P) and one rains some reservations (Till).

My statements were general statements about committee membership.  I
didn't know that there was a proper motion to add Maxi to the
committee.

If that is a motion, then, instead of general comments, I have
specific comments, questions, and discussion.  Depending on the
outcome of that, I will vote.

Maxi,

I've only worked with you once on Conference Committee topics [1].
Overall, that seemed to be a negative experience for me.  With this
topic as with most OSGeo topics, I took the OSGeo do-ocracy [2]
approach which is that the person who wants the information is
burdened to find it.  I gave you some pointers of where to find the
information but never got any response from you.  Instead of the OSGeo
do-ocracy approach, you seemed to make demands that others do this
work and when others didn't do the work, then you seemed
obstructionist [3].  I even tried addressing this mode of work too [4]
and got no response.  Do you believe in the OSGeo do-ocracy approach?
Do you think that we are volunteers who can choose to do or not do
things as we see fit?  Do you think that any of us are obligated to
produce results on demand?  How do you intend to operate on the
Conference Committee?  Would you join the committee as a participant
and after establishing a track record of productive cooperation and
results, wait for an invitation as a member?

Based on the one time that we tried working together on Conference
Committee topics, it was a very negative experience for me.  I am not
at all inclined to want to have more contributions of that sort on the
Committee.

As with the previous times I brought this up, I do so with the
greatest spirit of cooperation and intent to further discussion.  I
also feel obligated to raise this for the positive functioning of the
committee.

> No one else has expressed an opinion.
>
> Maxi, welcome to the Conference Committee. Would you update your details on the conference committee page of the wiki.

Please wait until we have a proper motion and determine the outcome.

> A couple of people have raised the topic of whether membership of the conference committee is synonymous with eligibility to vote in the FOSS4G selection process. I intend to add this to my list of topics for the conference committee to consider over the next couple of months.

Best regards, Eli

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2015-August/003168.html
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Do-ocracy
[3] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-August/013083.html
[4] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/board/2015-August/013110.html

On some of the issues that you brought up (The Board and OSgeo taking
FOSS4G seriously), I think that I actually agree with you, however,
your tactics were such that I saw no viable way to collaborate with
you.