[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Fri May 13 06:13:20 PDT 2016

Jonathan

We hosted FOSS4G 2013 at the university of Nottingham. We were offered a very good deal from them but it was far from free, universities in the UK and elsewhere are encouraged to find ways to make more use of their facilities to generate additional income. We did get all of the workshop facilities including computers at no extra charge.

We can reduce the cost of an event by finding lower cost facilities (not that easy), perhaps spreading the event across multiple sites and not having the space for plenaries and networking, providing cheaper food (or even no food at all), excluding the party from the overall ticket (or not bothering to host a gala event). There would still be a cost though, the question becomes how much of that cost you charge to delegates and whether a variable pricing model can be applied to subsidise some delegates (although I fear any policy on concessionary pricing will generate a lot of debate around edge cases.

The only way that you can make an event free is to raise a lot more sponsorship (something of the order of 3 or 4 times the levels we have achieved or even more) and my experience of 2013 and being the financial rep to the 2016 team is that there is not currently sufficient appetite amongst sponsors to generate that level of funding.

The t-shirts and pens and stuff that delegates get given is already funded by the sponsors, it does not come out of ticket prices.

You and several others have pointed out that the costs of attending a FOSS4G event are much greater than delegate fees (transport, accommodation and opportunity costs of the time off work). There are usually some options to reduce those costs but they can’t be eliminated.

FOSS4G generates a modest surplus for OSGeo (which is a large part of OSGeo’s income) - that surplus is used to fund code sprints, outreach, OSGeo Live dvd’s, student bursaries at events, Geo4All awards and to provide the financial guarantee that a conference organising team needs to put on the next FOSS4G (unless they are wiling to accept personal liability, which I believe would be an unacceptable imposition on our volunteers)

The bottom line is that whatever tweaks we make to the scope of a FOSS4G the costs are going to be within 10 or 15% of the current all in costs of conference fee, travel and accommodation. That prompts a few thoughts/questions:

1. Can we unbundle some elements of the conference to help those on low income? Gala event, catering, anything else?
2. Should we encourage lower cost venue options from host cities bidding for 2018 etc
3. Should we focus more on costs of travel and accommodation when selecting host cities?
4. Can we come up with an OSGeo policy on subsidising people who want to attend? How would we select? A full subsidy for someone attending FOSS4G including travel, accommodation, delegate fees, workshops, and living expenses could easily run between €1500 and €2500 depending on the location and an individual’s travel costs. That means finding between €60k and €100k to fund 5% of the attendees at a FOSS4G. Is that achievable?
5. Is it better to leave the successful global event as it is, up till now we have had strong attendances each year? We could instead encourage FOSS4G regional events (in regions that are not hosting the global event) that were designed and targeted to be a smaller scale and more affordable?
6. Are we looking at the wrong side of this by focussing on the cost of attending an event?

This discussion is very well timed as we will be starting the call for FOSS4G 2018 in September and that event will be a ‘rest of world’ which may mean higher travel costs for delegates from NA and Europe and may provide some opportunities for a different approach to grow the FOSS4G community within the region. If we want them to work to a different set of parameters we need to agree those parameters before we start the process.

May the FOSS be with you #mtfbwy
______
Steven