[OSGeo-Conf] travel grant program, FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Mon Apr 30 02:56:29 PDT 2018

Dear Adam,

to be honest, since I chair CC this is the first case, that a regional
conference request for support of TGP for their conference, so there are
no experiences with that. Also, TGP is an official and integral part of
OSGeo/FOSS4G since not more than a year now. Before the chairs (Sanghee
for 2015, memyselfandI for 2016 and others also before) managed TGP on
their own. So I can't really tel, what amount by OSGeo is realistic,
perhaps something between 2.5k-5k US$ ?

To your questions:

- You ask for "X for registration" - in total we from CC would prefer,
if you as LOC would be able to give grantees a free entrance to your
conference as part of the TGP package.

- "Y for travel" - for Dar 2018 we changed the procedure and now offer
TGP-packages, e.g. packages for 200, 500 and 1000 US $, all of them
including free conference pass (made possible by LOC) and accomodation
in a hostel (paid by LOC). This is because LOC in Dar know, that a lot
of people from surrounding countries will be able to travel to Dar just
by bus, so if TGP is able to pay for their buss fee, people would be
able to join the conference.
For an applicant it is only possible to apply for *one* of the packages.
This also eases your plannings, as you do not have e.g. 27 applicants
and each of them claims for different amounts of money (this is what we
tried for Boston 2017). So I'd suggest to choose the other way, which
means e.g.: "we can offer 5 grants of aa$, 5 grants of bb$ [...]"

So far, Till