[OSGeo-Conf] Questions / Remarks on Halifax proposal

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 15:11:43 PST 2018

*These questions are also posted on the Wiki site...*

Congrats on providing an excellent, attractive and comprehensive proposal.

   -

   On page 27, you state: "A majority of our budget will be dedicated to
   the audiovisual." Can you clarify as the spreadsheets seem to indicate that
   Audiovisual + Live streaming + Translation will add up to $100,000. Under
   all three scenarios, $100,000 is far less than the "majority" of the three
   different total expense budgets (i.e., ~$696k - ~$863k). Can you clarify?
   -

   Given that recent conferences have employed "professional conference
   organizers" (PCO), can you elaborate on why you chose to not have a PCO?
   Was a PCO ever considered? If so, was there a reason this option was not
   pursued? Can you elaborate on what services Destination Halifax will be
   providing on a complimentary basis? Has either of the two Chairs been
   involved in the hands-on *organizing *(i.e., not just being on
   committees) for a conference of 800, or more people? Will there be any
   other paid support staff for the organizing team beside the two Chairs?
   -

   What is the obligation/commitment of work that a “discounted volunteer”
   needs to complete to obtain the discount to $400? In other words, how much
   work should a volunteer expect to need to perform?
   -

   Kudos on setting an ambitious sponsorship goal. But, as per Steven's
   earlier questions, it would be helpful to better understand how you intend
   to meet the goal. Given that top-tier sponsors (Diamond, Platinum, Gold)
   are often given "exclusive privileges" such as naming rights to large
   events, is it realistic that there will be 18 separate $2,000 investments
   in naming for the evening events (i.e., to match the $36,000 of expected
   revenue from evening event naming)? What kind of "exclusive benefits" will
   you be offering to top-tier partners if naming is not included in their
   base investment?

Thanks for your great proposal, and good luck!

MT

Michael Terner
ternergeo at gmail.com
(M) 978-631-6602