[OSGeo-Conf] Preparation Call for 2020

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Sep 13 08:55:53 PDT 2018

Hi Till and all,

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 11:34 PM, Till Adams <till.adams at fossgis.de> wrote:
> Dear ConfComm!
>
> as already sent out in June, I prepared the dates and the procedure for
> the call for the 2020 conference. As I had some days to come in again
> after my great travel through Africa we're a little later now than I
> actually planned.
>
> I've made a few minor changes to the schedule and the general call for
> 2020. Please take a look at the WIKI [1] and comment/add/edit.

Only comment is that the header,
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2020_Bid_Process#Summary_of_Important_Dates_.28AoE.29,
says AoE time zone https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth

but some things say "12h CET"

I prefer AoE since it accepts things until the last possible moment
and avoids confusion (it applies everywhere on earth).  We aren't
trying to make the deadlines difficult they are just to move the
process along.

Deadlines/timezones should always be to the benefit/convenience of the
person running the process.  So for AoE, that often means the next day
until you would deal with things.

Looks good overall.  I have some comments on dates from a US/North
American perspective.

The Stage 2 question period: 2018 November 24. to 2018 November 30.11.
includes November 22 which is (US) Thanksgiving.  With Travel and
other things, November 21-26 could be considered a holiday with
unlikely activity.  I would make Proposals (Stage 2) due: November
21st and then start the question period November 24 or 25th knowing
that some responses may still be slow.

Selection of host city announced could be coordinated with Board
meetings so that the Board can approve/announce it
simultaneously/shortly.

Best regards, Eli