[OSGeo-Conf] Application of FOSs4G Bucharest for TGP

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sat Apr 6 23:25:57 PDT 2019

Hi Cameron,
Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

It seems that from a sustainability perspective, travel is the single
biggest potential contributor of CO2 emissions, especially for
international conferences like FOSS4G:
https://www.terrapass.com/reducing-carbon-footprint-conference

The pertinent line: "As efficiencies go, conference coordinators address
venue, food, local transportation, and water regularly but around 90% of
emissions from conferences and events are created by attendee travel."

 > * What are the travel implications (such as time taken and cost) for
different travel options from different catchment areas for the conference?
A good idea, but thinking about it, this is usually best researched by
someone local to the area. They'll know what the intra-country travel is
like (rather than live half a continent away and don't speak the
language), and hopefully have some idea as to what the connections to
the surrounding countries are like too.

That said, I did happen to go to Romania last year so have some idea as
to the answers specific to Bucharest 2019:
- Internationally there's a direct sleeper-train from Vienna (Austria)
via Hungary. It's cheap and takes about half a day (crossing Romania
(slowly!)) as well as the night (saves on a hotel!). There are also
direct (sleepers and day trains) to Hungary (same train as Vienna),
Moldova, Bulgaria, and Turkey - I suspect they're even cheaper.
- Buses - There seem to be lots -
http://romaniatourism.com/transportation.html
- Within the country there are a fair number of trains; they can be
absurdly cheap, but they are very slow (the fastest I came across was
about 100km/h on average!). There are also a lot of buses but I'm not
familiar with them beyond their existence.

Calgary 2020 - I know nothing about Canada so this is just from a quick
search.
At selection time just looking at a map told me this was a write-off
from a travel sustainability perspective. It turns out it's even worse
than that! The closest place with any significant population is ~650km
away (Vancouver) -
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/74/d2/94/74d2943b0262440666a763f81b686a54.jpg
. Worst of all though, it turns out Calgary doesn't even have passenger
trains!!! -
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/canada/calgary/practical-information/transport/flights-and-getting-there/a/nar/7c25380a-0270-46e0-842c-917a0d9f0d9f/361219
(Halifax wasn't much better but appears to at least have trains
including a direct sleeper to Montreal; Niagara Falls was easily the
best of the three submissions in that regard, at least based on just
looking at OSM).

Personally I think this indicates the current selection process is
significantly flawed - there aren't many places that could have hosted a
FOSS4G and been less sustainably located. While Calgary has some great
sustainability stuff planned, the fact that >90-95% of everyone who
doesn't live in Calgary is going to be flying in is a huge fail and will
do far more harm than can possibly be offset by all the good stuff they do.
For future bids, I'd suggest at the very least, __requiring__ access to
the national train network. Yes this means FOSS4G won't ever go to
Hawaii but that's a small sacrifice to make. When not even the regional
"locals" can get there by sustainable travel, you know you have a problem.

==============

Offsetting
Reduction is definitely better than offsetting, but using the two in
combination is best of all.
The above-linked terrapass article has some thoughts on CO2 offsetting
in the conference price.

It's too late for these two conferences to include it fully (something
to consider for 2021 bids), but there are two other options, especially
still time for Calgary.
"Opt-Out" - include a offsetting price as a default add-on and let folks
unselect it. Apparently this leads to about 15-20% of folks offsetting,
which is a start.
"Opt-in" add-on (off by default), but only gets 1-2% uptake.

Quite a few conferences seem to have carbon-offsetting as part of their
plan:
-
https://sites.google.com/site/birdscaribbeanconference2019/carbon-offset-program
- http://www.wcmb2018.org/carbon-offset.html

These folks have clearly thought the entire selection process out in
regards to sustainability - there may be notions there for FOSS4G:
http://environmental-studies.org/?p=85

As to where to go to offset the carbon - there are lots of organisations
that do this; it depends what the conference LOC wants to support.

Cheers,
Jonathan