[OSGeo-Conf] Vote stage 1 on RfP 2025 before 10th of March

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Wed Mar 13 16:40:13 PDT 2024

Dear Codrina and dear Till,

Thank you for your kind work and patience! Also, we must thank so much for the work of the three (from completely different geographically speaking regions) LOCs for proposing their cities to be the potential host of FOSS4G2025: Auckland, Hiroshima and Riyadh. We are grateful and honored for that! Through the vote of the OSGeo Conference Committee we acknowledge that  Auckland and Hiroshima will go forward for the second phase. Congrats for that! In the same way, we acknowledge the work and passion of our friends from Riyadh. As pramsey already said, your work is highly appreciated and would like to consider using your knowledge to apply again for hosting FOSS4G international. For us, it's very important!

The next deadline for the remaining teams, for the final proposals (Stage 2), is May 13 [1]. Please consider the OSGeo Conference Committee as a partner when making/preparing your bid and get back to us for any questions you may have.
We wish both teams good luck in this endeavor!

On a secondary note, I would like to raise some very important concerns on the very low vote participation rate. 7 from 18 is extremely low and is affecting OSGeo credibility. Somehow, we should understand the reason for that and we should settle this before the second stage of the FOSS4G2025 bid. This is an open question for the Conference Committee and the OSGeo Board. Let's quickly work together on this and find an acceptable solution!

Warm regards,
Vasile

[1] https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_2025_Bid_Process#CRO.27s_on_RfP_2025