[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G Auckland 2025 Proposal

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon May 27 02:33:08 PDT 2024

My concern regarding this proposal is simple: The location. There are
two pages of the proposal dedicated to "internationally connected" for
Auckland, and they focus entirely on: Flying. Which makes sense because
that's the only reasonable way to get to New Zealand, but unfortunately,
it's utterly unsustainable.

A return trip from Munich (which I'm going to pretend is the "middle" of
Europe) to Auckland is about 5-10 tons of CO2 assuming economy class
(difference calculators say different things). Quadruple this for
Business class. Based on the historical numbers, it looks like you can
probably expect at least 100 European delegates, so that's 500-1000
metric tons of CO2 right there. Throw in a hundred west-coast Americans
(2-4 tons round trip), and that's another 2-500 tons. Though I see your
expected international attendance from outside Oceania is actually more
than double this (380), so lets say at least 2000 tons CO2e just from
the flights.

The IPCC reports are clear that we need to be drastically reducing CO2
emissions. Carrying on with business-as-usual like this is part of the
problem and one of the reasons global emissions continue to rise.

I note that you have "Carbon Offset" via trees, at least for attendance,
though the reality is that these are generally greenwashing exercises.

The online option as an alternative seems problematic for an
international audience because NZ is ~10hrs ahead of Europe and ~5-8hrs
behind the Americas.

Japan has similar issues, but at least they have a much larger "local"
audience, be that within the country (population 123 million), or within
a short distance away (SE Asia, population: 1 billion+). They're also
closer for the international audiences, though not by much.

(And for the record: I'd absolutely love to go to NZ, but as I refuse to
fly for environmental reasons, it's never likely to happen.)