NOT"geographic web" on Google Earth + poached OSGEO logo

Mike Liebhold mnl at well.com
Sat Dec 9 12:08:38 PST 2006

I clicked on google earth today, to follow my daughter & husband's
journey from brazil into argentina, and found an unexpected new default
view.

I don't know which is more offensive:

1, That google would add a new default selected layer called "geographic
web" that is - no way -  a "geographic web"

or

2. that that the prominent logo on many proprietary kml placemark pages
from these "geographic web"  points is so derivitive/poached from the
widely recognized  OSGEO <http://osgeo.org> logo. see panoramio.com
<http://panoramio.com/>

And it's kind of counter-intuitive to see some  non-editable wikipedia
pages have mysteriously been imported into google's own non-standard kml
format.

If google earth actually supported standards, starting with html and
georss, wfs/wms/gml I guess they could claim a "geographic web". Until
then it looks like a clearly blantant appropriation for private
advantage of  the term "geographic web" that explicitly means open
standard hypermedia, to most rational people.

check it out.

- Mike Liebhold