[Geowanking] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Input regarding Axis Order Confusion

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at ccgis.de
Fri Dec 15 14:23:48 PST 2006

Sorry for post crossing again.

...cost prossing? coss prosting, must be mixing up axis order.

On Fri, December 15, 2006 18:08, Daniel Morissette wrote:
> The beauty of cross-posting to multiple lists... I just replied to the
> osgeo-discuss fork of this thread asking for an update on what happened
> at OGC this week and just found my answer here.

Lets see whatever Carl Reed from OGC is going to put together officially.
I banged into concrete walls talking about x being the horizontal axis and
first, y being the vertical axis and second and potentially having a z
axis pointing up in coordinates tuples / triples. This will not do as it
does not have an urn and does not comply to whatever OGP (Ex-EPSG) does to
its coordinate axis order and has not rnu through the process of...

> So nobody present at the OGC meeting saw the issue? It's not about
> deciding which one is "correct" between x,y, or y,x, or lon,lat, or
> lat,lon ... I could not care less as long as pick one and only one and
> go with it. Variable axis order based on SRS code like what has been
> introduced in WMS 1.3 is the worst possible situation for
> interoperability IMNSHO.

I am missing out on a practical alternative. If I get this right "we"
would need to create a repository with coordinate reference systems that
go for x,y(,z) and go "our" own way. This will be a stony way so I propose
in my stylish humble way to stick with 1.1.1 as long as we can and
undercover try to find that new database.

> WMS 1.1.x has been a huge success, widely adopted and deployed because
> it was simple... simple to implement a server, and simple to implement a
> client... and WMS 1.3 broke that simplicity!

Therefore we will ignore 1.3 and mabe help out to make 2.0 be a real
solution.

> Here ya go... you got me going again... time to stop...

Sorry to be a pain.

> Daniel

And now that everybody is leaving the bunker I will go into the weekend
too and abstain from any electronic devices for - say 37.5 hours. That
should be enough to forget.

Regards,

PS:
Sorry for being so talkative but locking me up in strange environments
makes this happen - the only connection to the world being a fibre cable
in the concrete wall...

Arnulf Christl
http://www.ccgis.de