[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: [Geowanking] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Input regarding Axis Order Confusion

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Fri Dec 15 14:53:24 PST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 17:23, Arnulf Christl wrote:

> Sorry for post crossing again.
>
> ...cost prossing? coss prosting, must be mixing up axis order.
>
> On Fri, December 15, 2006 18:08, Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> The beauty of cross-posting to multiple lists... I just replied to
>> the
>> osgeo-discuss fork of this thread asking for an update on what
>> happened
>> at OGC this week and just found my answer here.
>
> Lets see whatever Carl Reed from OGC is going to put together
> officially.
> I banged into concrete walls talking about x being the horizontal
> axis and
> first, y being the vertical axis and second and potentially having a z
> axis pointing up in coordinates tuples / triples. This will not do
> as it
> does not have an urn and does not comply to whatever OGP (Ex-EPSG)
> does to
> its coordinate axis order and has not rnu through the process of...
>
>> So nobody present at the OGC meeting saw the issue? It's not about
>> deciding which one is "correct" between x,y, or y,x, or lon,lat, or
>> lat,lon ... I could not care less as long as pick one and only one
>> and
>> go with it. Variable axis order based on SRS code like what has been
>> introduced in WMS 1.3 is the worst possible situation for
>> interoperability IMNSHO.
>
> I am missing out on a practical alternative. If I get this right "we"
> would need to create a repository with coordinate reference systems
> that
> go for x,y(,z) and go "our" own way. This will be a stony way so I
> propose
> in my stylish humble way to stick with 1.1.1 as long as we can and
> undercover try to find that new database.
>
>> WMS 1.1.x has been a huge success, widely adopted and deployed
>> because
>> it was simple... simple to implement a server, and simple to
>> implement a
>> client... and WMS 1.3 broke that simplicity!

This is what you get when you design a spec in a committee where you
have to also broker relationships with other interests that have no
stake in the implementation/implementability of your spec. The 1.1
series was pretty well hammered out by implementors. 1.3 was heavily
influenced by non-implementors with some arm-twisting by EPSG purists
thrown in for good measure.

> Therefore we will ignore 1.3 and mabe help out to make 2.0 be a real
> solution.

I think this is what's happening anyway. There seems to be precious
little implementation of 1.3 other than by people who also happen to
need other features it offers.

There could always be a community (can you say "mass market"?)
profile that takes 1.1.1 and lays the good parts of 1.3 on top.

	Allan

>> Here ya go... you got me going again... time to stop...
>
> Sorry to be a pain.
>
>> Daniel
>
> And now that everybody is leaving the bunker I will go into the
> weekend
> too and abstain from any electronic devices for - say 37.5 hours. That
> should be enough to forget.
>
> Regards,
>
> PS:
> Sorry for being so talkative but locking me up in strange environments
> makes this happen - the only connection to the world being a fibre
> cable
> in the concrete wall...
>
>> Arnulf Christl wrote:

>>> Thank you so much. I mean - it sounds stupid if I personally
>>> thank you
>>> for
>>> doing this as it is something that comes naturally from a
>>> community of
>>> which I am just part. My "problem" is that I know that there are
>>> quite a
>>> few negative vibes around regarding what happened to WMS 1.3 with
>>> respect
>>> to the axis order (regardless of ommitting SLD) but it seems to
>>> be hard
>>> get those people to voice them yet again.
>>>
>>> I have been at (yet another) discussion regarding what OGC is
>>> going to
>>> do
>>> with respect to changing the axis order in 1.3 and later. It
>>> seems like
>>> they (we?) are going to stick with it. Why that? Because nobody is
>>> against
>>> it (here you come in) and it is the "right" way to do it. With
>>> respect
>>> the EPSG definitionn this is actually true. With respect to
>>> GeoRSS it is
>>> actually also true.
>>>
>>> Nonetheless I wonder whether it really makes sense to write down
>>> something
>>> like (y,x,z) when noting something down including height. It does
>>> not