[OSGeo-Discuss] ISO 19115

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Thu May 17 12:27:25 PDT 2007

dear nicholas, all,
On Wed, May 16, 2007 at 11:13:28AM +1000, nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au wrote:
> http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=26020&ICS1=35&ICS2=240&ICS3=70
>
> Particularly "the cataloguing of datasets"
> Has anyone read this? Is it useful?

I've never read the ISO19115 core document, unwilling to pay for it ;)
The most copious profile I've read of it is the North American
Profile, a common US/Canada draft effort to replace the FGDC standard.
http://frot.org/terradue/minimal_metadata.html were some long notes i
made at that time. It's overdesigned for many use cases, and doesn't
account well for current or near-future online distribution mechanisms.
But it has a lot of instituional buy-in, at least in theory.

GeoNetwork takes the only sensible approach which is "support many
profiles, many protocols, and see what shakes out" (at least that is
my impression of it :) )

I have - literally - several five-foot-long scrolls of further commentary
on this subject matter, and when they're publishable will start
dropping more on the near-empty blog started just to spam the osgeo
community about it :) http://metadatamadness.wordpress.com/

cheers,

jo