[OSGeo-Discuss] Is there an Open Source softwareapplicationthatwill draw a graticule on a map?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Fri Sep 7 14:45:58 PDT 2007

Dave,

  Good point.  My intent was to see if anyone else was
interested Topo map style output and to gather any
easily-transfered knowledge (and I got some great pointers,
thank you everone!) about the Open Source projects out
there.  The lack of graticule implementation is just a
curious hole in Open Source GUI GIS space, and it prevents
me from un-installing ArcView 3.1.  Sad, but not really a
problem.  I hope I didn't mislead anyone...

Implementers,

  Please don't fire up the debuggers on my account, but if
you've got some spare time and an interest in cartography,
you can download Canadian topo data from the Geogratis
site(http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/),  Here are links to my
favorite topo, 082H04, Waterton Lakes, in a few formats:

Shape:
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/50k_shp/082/h/canvec_082h04_shp.zip
GML:
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canvec/50k_gml/082/h/canvec_082h04_gml.zip
and the scanned paper, GeoTiff:
http://ftp2.cits.rncan.gc.ca/pub/canmatrix/50k_300dpi/082/h/canmatrix_082h04_tif.zip

And FYI, as Dave points out, it's not possible to exactly
replicate printed Topo map from the vectors (mostly due to
annotation?), but it's fun to try.  They even have rotation
angles as an attribute in the buildings point layer!

Thanks to all...
Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta