[OSGeo-Discuss] Re: Voting for new OSGeo Charter Members open until 6th June 2008

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com
Mon Jun 2 03:19:51 PDT 2008

+1 from Arnulf Christl to add all 18 nominees as new charter members (this
is not a motion and obviously we should not change the rules of the
process while it is running - but what the heck, if We All think it makes
sense?)

Maybe it is also time to polish up the image of the (normal, intentional
and real) OSGeo Member. The *only* thing that the Charter Member does, is
vote for new Charter Members and half of the board once a year. But it is
not possible to formally associate oneself with OGSeo as a *regular*
member. All you can do right now is create an account in the Wiki and
another one to participate in the portal, various web sites, Trac and SVN.

There is an informal process to document being an "OSGeo Member" in a
web-traceable, public, web 2.0, compatible, blah mash-up way at:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category:OSGeo_Member

It seems to pick up some speed now so please "register" if you feel like
it or comment on how it could be improved here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:Membership_Rules
and there:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Membership_Application
and there:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Category_talk:OSGeo_Member (now in implementation)

And if you find more information elsewhere, feel free to link it.

Regards, Arnulf.

On Sun, June 1, 2008 15:31, Jeroen Ticheler wrote:
> +1 from me.
> I'm actually curious to understand what the reason is behind the
> number of new charter members. The policy says: "The number of new members
> will be between 10% and one third of the existing charter membership count
> as decided by the board." Now, that means an ever increasing number even
> if the total OSGeo community would be shrinking. Shouldn't the number of
> new charter members also be related to e.g. the number of people
> subscribed to the OSGeo discuss list (or another community size
> indicator)? Ciao,
> Jeroen
>

> On May 31, 2008, at 5:00 AM, Dave Patton wrote:
>

>> P Kishor wrote:
>>
>>> So, on the basis of a highly scientific polling methodology, we
>>> have 5 for inviting all 18 nominated to become Charter Members and 2
>>> for leaving 3 behind. There is some logic in sticking with the program,
>>> but programs have to be malleable and changeable with the times and
>>> situation. 15 is as arbitrary a number as 18. My choosing 15 out of
>>> the list is going to 100% irrational and arbitrary.
>>>

>> 3 is as arbitrary a number as 4, or 5, or 6.....
>> So what would happen if there were 19 nominations,
>> or 20 or 21 .... Changing the policy may be appropriate, but not
>> during the process. For example, knowing that the 'magic number' is 15,
>> some people might have decided not to make further nominations on seeing
>> a list of 18 well qualified nominees, but may have made a different
>> choice had they known the 'magic number' could be changed.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Patton
>> CIS Canadian Information Systems
>> Victoria, B.C.