[OSGeo-Discuss] Chickens, Boards and Export Restrictions

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu Jun 12 10:03:26 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:56 AM, Arnulf Christl
<arnulf.christl at wheregroup.com> wrote:
> I for one get this feedback on a regular basis from parts
> of the German speaking community. This sentiment has lead to a lot of
> discussion within the GaV which is the existing German FOSSGIS community, a
> legal entity incorporated in 2001-01-18. It was felt that OSGeo (Main?,
> Int'l?) was too US (North American) centric in its mindset.

I think the Brazilian community probably has a stronger beef than the
Germans, but I don't see how anything short of a babelfish is going to
resolve the fairly intractable barrier of language to the growth of
communities of shared interest.

If most of the participants in a group are of a shared background,
that cultural and linguistic background will dominate the
conversation.  If there were more Germans involved, there would be a
more German perspective (heaven forfend).  Chicken, meet egg.

Are there concrete issues that can address this, because I'm not going
to get worked up over matters of perception that are out of my
control.  I cannot make more Germans join, and I cannot become German
myself through sheer force of will.

P.