[OSGeo-Discuss] Annual General Meeting at FOSS4G

andrea giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 00:03:17 PDT 2008

Hi Tyler -

I did not attend the Annual General Meeting last year, and I am not sure if
I will be able to attend this year, but I have ideas in this respect and I
hope they will still reach the mailing list ;)

With the growth of the community (and of the number of chapters) such a
session will grow in complexity and length. It could get VERY confusing.

Based on similar experiences (last but not least large condominium
meetings), I would recommend providing some guidance on how to present
information and interact.

for example:

a) presentation of each chapter/project/sponsor

- basic statistics (how many people, geographic reach,
- the three best things we did in the past year
- the three most interesting things we planned for the next year
- three lessons learned/areas for improvement

this can be done in more or less  5 minutes per chapter.

b) I would then open the floor to discussion, questions, in relation to
specific points of interest highglighted in part (a), always with a fixed
time to talk, a fixed time to respond, and somebody acting as a moderator.

I have attended a fair amount of workshops, meetings etc, conferences and
one thing I noted is always appreciated is the respect for people's time
(although we as a community are more focused on space ;) ).

all chapters, projects, sponsors have wiki pages, blogs, web pages etc - so
if anybody wants details, they will be available, while the meeting should
really help the community to focus.

If you need assistance to arrange any of this, I should be available.

Hop this hlps!

Andrea Giacomelli - aka pibinko
vice president GFOSS.it - Italian OSGEO Chapter - http://www.gfoss.it
*Se voce quiser vou Ihe mostrar - a nossa Sao Paulo terra da garoa - Se voce
quiser vou Ihe mostrar - Bahia de Caetano nossa gente boa. (Benito de Paula)
*