[OSGeo-Discuss] web mapping package

John Callahan john.callahan at udel.edu
Mon Dec 28 16:09:55 PST 2009

Thanks Bob.  Yes, GeoMoose does seem impressive for what it can do out of
the box.  I noticed there is a GeoMoose mailing list and will likely signup
for that.  Quick question though: can the GeoMoose interface directly
display png tiles (e.g., output from gdal2tiles/maptiler) or do rasters need
to go through mapserver first?  (I have some imagery and openstreetmap data
I think would be best served through TMS tiles rather than mapserver raster
data sources.)

- John

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Bob Basques <Bob.Basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us>wrote:

>  John,
>
>  First off, I'm close to the GeoMoose project, now having said that. . .
>
>  GeoMoose will implement way faster out of the box.
>
>  Usually, the biggest hurdle, is if you need to change the projection of
> the data you are displaying.  If all your data is in the same projection,
> it's not a problem at all, pretty much can be a plug and play with the
> datasets using the samples that come with the GeoMoose package.  If you need
> to pull data from other projections and overlay them onto your datasets then
> things get decidedly trickier (in any application for that matter), although
> once you have one layer working , it's usually not too big a deal to get
> others working in GeoMoose too.
>
>  Don't take my word for it though.  I'm sure others will pop on here and
> reply too, although, you might want to try the Mapserver list with the
> question as well, there might be some other viewers out there as well that
> might fit the bill.
>
>  bobb

> I'm looking for a web mapping package that can be used to show 15 - 20
> datasets at once. These data just need to be turned on/off and maybe an
> identify/query feature. Data are points, lines, polygons, and rasters
> (aerial imagery, DEMs, etc...) Basically, I'm looking for a way to show
> these datasets to a few dozen colleagues located in various depts.
>
> So far, MapGuide OS and GeoMoose seem to be the two best options. I have
> used Mapserver and Postgis before and could use these again. Vectors are
> mostly shapefiles and rasters are img or ESRI grids (I could convert to png
> tiles using GDAL or something similar.)
>

> Any thoughts on the ease of setup/config of GeoMoose vs MapGuide OS? Any
> other obvious packages I'm missing? (I know about ka-map but don't think
> it's being developed, and may not add anything over GeoMoose/MapGuide.) In
> the past, I've used ArcIMS and ArcGIS Server for such a purpose. However,
> I'm looking for an open source solution.
>
> If all goes well, we may develop a more sophisticated application in the
> future but for right now, viewing the data is most important. Thanks for
> your help.
>
> - John

John Callahan, Geospatial Application Developer
Delaware Geological Survey, University of Delaware