[OSGeo-Discuss] web mapping package

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Mon Dec 28 17:32:51 PST 2009

John,

For the most part, GeoMoose relies on what MapServer can serve up.  With
the exception of Aerial Photo's, the tiling of data doesn't really help
all that much (IMO) with performance issues.  The OGR/Tiling/indexing
can be used, but even it goes through MapServer.  All of my Aerial photo
datasets run this route as well.

There are a couple of folks on the GeoMoose list that have brought up
the idea of using tiled services.  And I imagine the support will be in
GeoMoose sommetime in the near future, you can get more info from the
GeoMoose list on that.

With the right indexing you can get pretty good performance, see here:

https://gis.ci.stpaul.mn.us/gis/gismo_public/html/
http://sandy.utah.gov/gis/
http://gis.co.benton.mn.us:8081/geomoose/BentonCountyGIS.html

or for more . . . .