[OSGeo-Discuss] Fleet management

Arnie Shore shoreas at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 18:37:41 PST 2010

Hello there Louis.  I don't recall whether I'd responded to the July
posting, so apologies here if this repeats anything I'd said in response.

Our project ( http://groups.google.com/group/open-source-cad?lnk=gcimv) has
a somewhat different orientation, but there's a lot of overlap WRT the
requirements/goals you enumerate below.   While the project proper is free
and open source, and relies on PHP and MySQL as, respectively, the scripting
and database engines, the mapping (today) is GMaps-based. Moveing the latter
to OpenLayers and OSM is on our to-do list, for a number of operational
reasons in addition to that of the gospel of a completely OS solution.

By the numbers:

1.  We do track GPS-equipped smart phones.
2.  We do send dispatch notification via both conventional email and
SMS-capable devices.
3.  We do send driving directions, again by both conventional email and
SMS-capable devices.
4.  Driver confirmation capability currently requires a suitably-equipped
device with the driver.  (I.e., a browser on some platform)
5.  While we do rely on humans to select the to-be dispatched units, we do
show the distances from incident to unit location, the initial selection
being the nearest in straight-line distance - in the interest of rapid
response.

Our system, Tickets CAD by name, is OS-agnostic, and largely
browser-independent (we test under FF, IE, Chrome, and Safari).  I believe
that Tickets can run on any http server supporting the engines noted above.
(We test under Apache, but it's run under IIS in the past.)  It has been
under active development and use for approximately two years, and is
available from SourceForge.

Do come back with any questions, of course.

Arnie Shore
Annapolis, MD