[OSGeo-Discuss] looking for OS softwre to stitch aerial photos automatically

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jan 22 09:38:45 PST 2010

I've been using Hugin in an attempt to do this process. While the
control point generation works out ok (note there are some licensing
restrictions due to patents in all the current algorithms) the stitching
never comes out quite right because of hugin's insistence on warping to
a projection that assumes a camera mounted on a stationary tripod.

In discussions with some of the OSSIM team, they are interested in this
area but the current app does not do this. Other options that have come
up are OpenCv and Nasa Image Workbench but both of these are programming
libraries and would require c/c++ coding.

It would be great to collaborate on getting this implemented in an OSGeo
project. I know several researchers with a need for a tool that does this.

Thanks,
Alex