[OSGeo-Discuss] FOSS4G 2013 Nottingham archiving

Jo Cook jocook at astuntechnology.com
Wed Dec 4 08:13:58 PST 2013

I disagree completely about the basecamp archive. The whole purpose of what
I'm doing at the moment is to archive it in a useful format, with
discussion threads linking to files rather than a bunch of wiki pages. I
appreciate that preserving things on the wiki is a good idea, and that's
what we have been doing, but it might be worth holding off from dismissing
the basecamp archive as useless until the archiving has been done. You will
of course get the logos and other files separately (see Barry's original
post, which no one has answered yet).

I also don't think that the lessons learnt page for 2013 is the right place
to add personal opinions from the board about the archive- if you want to
forbid the use of any communication tool for OSGeo conferences, apart from
the mailing lists and wiki, then this should be specified in the RFP.

Jo

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 3:57 PM, Jeff McKenna
<jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com>wrote:

> As for the  Basecamp archive, it's likely useless as-is, but what should
> be done is to extract out the individual parts (docs, raw logos) then
> upload them individually to SVN, and then move the discussions into
> OSGeo wiki pages.  Of course this is much easier to do from the
> beginning of the event planning.  We can add this to the 2013 lessons
> learned page for sure.
>
> Thanks for taking this time to share your files.  They are super
> important for future FOSS4G local committees.
>
> -jeff
>

> On 2013-12-04 10:39 AM, Barry Rowlingson wrote:
> > The material for FOSS4G 2013 for possible archiving amounts to:
> >
> >  1. Static web site, including mapgallery HTML but not including
> > mapgallery images: 74Mb
> >
> >  2. MapGallery imagery: 350Mb
> >
> >  3. Basecamp archive: ???Mb - contains discussions, documents etc
> >
> >  4. Google Docs: ???Mb
> >
> > I'm responsible for 1 and 2. Is that too much? I could take out the
> > map gallery but it is quite nice. Someone else will perhaps be in
> > touch about 3 and 4.
> >
> > Could someone on the exec kickstart the process whereby I can put
> > these things, if OSGeo still want them, onto storage somewhere.
> >
> > I don't know if OSGeo would rather put them on a filesystem or have
> > everything in SVN, in which case a new SVN repo for 1 and 2 would
> > probably be the thing, then I'd push everything to it.
> >
> > If we don't get this done by end-of-year then I doubt it will get done
> > afterwards.
> >
> > Barry

*Jo Cook*
Astun Technology Ltd, The Coach House, 17 West Street, Epsom, Surrey, KT18
7RL, UK
t:+44 7930 524 155
iShare - Data integration and publishing platform<http://www.isharemaps.com/>

864201149.