[OSGeo-Discuss] 2015 Charter Member elections

Vasile Craciunescu vasile at geo-spatial.org
Thu Jul 2 05:54:28 PDT 2015

Dear Cameron, Arnulf, Jeff and Gert-Jan,

Thank you for your appreciations! It was an interesting exercise of
digital archeology :)

Dear all,

I'm waiting until tomorrow for more feedback/ideas. Then I will draft a
survey, I will send you the questions and ask for your opinion and
finally, if all agree, the survey will be sent to all charter members.

Best,
Vasile

On 7/2/15 3:29 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> [...]
>> Charter.
>>
>> As a legal body incorporated in Delaware, USA we needed to implement how
>> the newly founded organization should support this charter. This has
>> been written into the bylaws:
>> http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/incorporation/bylaws.html
>>
>> In "ARTICLE VII Members" of our bylaws we specify how we plan to manage
>> membership. There is no talk of "Charter Members", just "members".
>> Looking at what we did almost 10 years ago it was probably the right
>> thing to do at that time. But it may be good for an update. My
>> suggestion is to change this section into regular membership and remove
>> the self-pollinating aspect. At the same time we could update our
>> "About" section into a proper Charter and then go ahead and operate as
>> any regular member association.
>>
>> On a personal note: I do not see any danger of a hostile take-over. This
>> was an important catch we put into the DNA of OSGeo when we founded it.
>> There never was a hostile take-over and I cannot really see it coming.
>> We are big enough to not need to fear this anymore. And we would make
>> OSGeo a much more open and welcoming organization if we moved away from
>> this somewhat strange self pollinating system.
>>
>> I am not really passionate about this and only consider it an overdue
>> maintenance patch to how OSGeo functions. If there is no broad interest
>> I am happy to drop the ball, otherwise I am as happy to help build a
>> more appropriate member mechanism.
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Seven
>>
>> - -- Arnulf Christl (OSGeo)
>> OSGeo President Emeritus
>> OSGeo Founding and Charter Member
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Arnulf_Christl
>>

>> On 30.06.2015 13:24, Gert-Jan van der Weijden - Stichting OSGeo.nl wrote:
>>> Vasile: thanks for this very useful recap.
>>>

>>> A few remarks from a relative newbie as I am ;-)
>>> - the name of the wiki page with the charter members is already called
>>> "voting members" ;-)
>>> - the charter member list grows and grows. Over the year only 1 person
>>> retired from the charter member list
>>> - charter membership seems to drift towards a title of honour,
>>> instead of a
>>> mechanism for proper board elections and prevent a hostile take-over
>>> - the voting participant rate for the board elections is low over the
>>> years:
>>> 70% - 85%. I would expect 100%!
>>>

>>> Therefore, I'd suggest a voting membership with:
>>> - a fixed number of seats (e.g. 72)
>>> - with a certain numbers of seats reserved for each region [51],
>>> (e.g. 6*6,
>>> and thus 36 remaining "wildcard"-seats).
>>> - in case of not enough candidates, or note enough votes for a candidate
>>> from a certain region, seats can remain empty
>>> - a 3 term (instead of a lifetime membership, re-election possible)
>>> - and a mechanism in which not all seats are elected every year, but
>>> one-third every year, and thus all seats once every three years

>>> again. Some people ask not to change the rules during the game and to
>>> select
>>> only 15 names. And 15th it was. Ironically, "there was a four-way tie
>>> for
>>> last place. So, the 15th person on the list was selected by a random
>>> process." [21].
>>>
>>> In 2009 the elections [22] followed the same rules but the number of
>>> seats
>>> was raised to 30. Though, as before, the charter members were able to
>>> cast
>>> only 15 votes. All nominated members [23] were elected as the number was
>>> bellow 30.
>>>
>>> 2010 [24], brought an important change. Due to lack of time for proper
>>> organization, it was decided to switch the election order and elect the
>>> charter members after the board elections. This way, the new charter
>>> members
>>> were not able to vote in the same year were elected. Also, the board
>>> decided, in a f2f meeting, to "add 10% of existing members each year
>>> - 10
>>> new members this year." [25]. The charter member were able to cast a
>>> maximum
>>> of 10 votes using the same rules as before. However, a number of voices
>>> noted that the list of nominee [26] had many great names and it was a
>>> pity
>>> to cut down to only 10. Some suggested that is time to make some
>>> changes in
>>> the charter member selection procedure (e.g. [27]).
>>>
>>> In 2011 [28] the elections order remain the same as in 2010. The board
>>> agreed on opening 20 seats (20% - [29]). Each member were able to cast a
>>> maximum of 20 votes using the same rules as before. In the end, 21
>>> members
>>> were elected (all nominees [30]) as it was a tie for the 20th slot
>>> and that
>>> still fits within the limits of 20% new charter members set by the
>>> board.
>>> The voting participating rate was 65% and some voices ask about the
>>> charter
>>> member retirement procedure.
>>>
>>> In 2012 [31] the election schedule return to the initial order: first
>>> charter member and then board. 20 seats were open and the board
>>> decided to
>>> accept all 22 nominations [32] as it was inline with OSGeo bylaws (is
>>> possible to add between 10% and one third of the existing charter
>>> membership).
>>>
>>> 2013 [33] elections followed the 2012 scenario. 30 seats open. 37
>>> nominations received [34]. The board decided to accept all the
>>> nominations.
>>>
>>> 2014 [35], the year of the change for OSGeo charter member elections.
>>> First big change was the implementation of an electronic voting
>>> system [36]
>>> to replace the e-mail voting. The selection process itself was also
>>> revised
>>> from the bottom. Each charter member received an email with a
> [...]
>>> The board was not able to reach an consensus with six votes to
>>> approve, one
>>> abstain and two to reject the motion. Some other charter members join
>>> the
>>> discussion but also with split opinions. Some are pro for a more
>>> exclusive
>>> charter membership and some are for a easy way to join. A
>>> consultation with
>>> the entire community was demanded. For more details see thread "[Board]
>>> motions from June 18 meeting - making OSGeo Charter membership more
>>> exclusive" on the board mailing list [44]. The thread expanded on the
>>> OSGeo-discuss mailing list and more concerns were raised. Like: the
>>> YES/NO/Abstain options should be better explained to the charter
>>> members;
>>> ask the charter members to vote on the threshold; the algorithm to
>>> measure
>>> the support for a nominee should be modified as Abstain votes are
>>> counted
>>> right now as No votes. The "YES / (NO + YES) = percentage support"
>>> [45] and
>>> "(YES-NO) / (YES+NO+ABSTAIN) = percentage support" [46] formulas were
>>> suggested; Arnulf suggested that "charter member" term was misused by
>>> OSGeo
>>> in the past and the foundation should embrace a regular membership
>>> mechanism
>>> and even ask for a low annual membership fee [47].
>>>
>>> I hope I did not make any mistakes and also did not left important
>>> information outside this recap. I so, please correct/add points. Charter
>>> member elections process is vital to OSGeo, therefore we should proceed
>>> further with great care. The time is also not on our side as we need
>>> to do
>>> this before the board elections. Until now we have the following
>>>
>>> a. Go with the unmodified 2014 selection process; b. Change the
>>> threshold
>>> percent; c. Change the algorithm that measure the support for a
>>> nominee; d.
>>> Change both b and c; e. Change the selection process from the ground
>>> (e.g.
>>> move to regular membership); e. Other options not expressed until now.
>>>
>>> Please take some time, think about the existing voting system and if/how
>>> should be improved, and express your opinion here. Thanks to the
>>> electronic
>>> voting system we can put your options into a survey and all vote for the
>>> best solution.
>>>
>>> Warm regards from sunny Bucharest,
>>> Vasile
>>> (your 2015 CRO)
>>>
>>> P.S. Two personal notes after I did some research about the
>>> selection/voting
>>> process in other open source software organizations: 1) all of them
>>> seem to
>>> have difficulties in finding the best solution (apparently such solution
>>> does not exist); 2) OSGeo is a very transparent organization.

>>> [7]