[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo/LocationTech relationship

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:07:18 PST 2015

Jody,

> I have to admit, to me as OSGeo member as developer (+SAC supporter), this

Agreed, email is tough for communication, and this conversation has started
by looking for differences rather than look at how things are.

As much as I appreciate (and carefully read through) all your inputs, that
> summary leaves me with even more questions.

I would happy to have a hangout with you if that would help. It may help me
sort out how to communicate on this subject :)

Putting all the emotional cream whipped so far aside and objectively,
> clearly, that it is all about potential, capacity and market share.

I thought it was more about the scope of OSGeo being clarified. Something
Cameron is consistently asking board members to provide in the form a
vision statement or similar.

> OSGeo has proved its potential, it is capable to paddle its own canoe
> for a decade or more, via large self-organized community and successful
> projects.

This to me is not a given - there is certainly more for OSGeo to do (and a
key reason I am taking part).  The gap on foss4g organization is
well-known, but not of interest to me. I am more focused on projects - and
am interested in gvSig having their own association (and QGIS forming their
own association).  Specifically I am not interested in forming an
association for GeoServer and would like to ask OSGeo to take on this role.

LocationTech is a fairly new player with huge & rich organization
> behind, that has to prove it's capable to secure market share, and its
> position. Otherwise, the parent organization will simply shut it down as
> any failed project.

A valid concern, but I think three years in LocationTech has moved passed
the experiment  stage (I believe it was considered a success almost from
day one). The budget for each working group is dictated by the members
involved, much as OSGeo budget is dictated by our sponsors.
--
Jody