[OSGeo-Discuss] Proposed OSGeo Vision

Gert-Jan van der Weijden gert-jan at osgeo.nl
Tue Nov 17 01:47:17 PST 2015

Suchith, Cameron, Board Members and everybody else,

Jeff's -I assume personal- vision and Cameron's refinement are a good
starting point indeed.
We already have more ingredients to refine our mission, goals en ways
to achieve them:
- A discussion started by Darrell Fuhriman (under the intriguing title
"OSGeo is becoming irrelevant. Here's why. Let's fix it)
- And a thread 2 month earlier (started by Michael Gerlek) "We won.
It's time for OSGeo 2.0".
- And probably much more,

Our board has a face2face meeting in January 2016 (althought the wiki
mentions "2015") [3] (in a cold, wet -but thanks to Jeroen Ticheler
welcoming- Holland).
I hope we can glue these meetings, discussions and insights together.
Therefore I suggest that the board f2f meeting is not an event on it's
own, but one step in a proces where we can redefine our values,
rewrite our goals and re-order our priorities.

Some ideas & suggestions:
- Handle it topic by topic. Therefore: define the topics first (partly
done, as in Jeff's vision for OSGeo, here below.
- For the board f2f: consider to invite an independant process facilitator
- FOSS4G-2016 might be the right time and (I think inspiring!) place
to finish that proces (with a "strategy-codesprint", for instance).
- And finally: such an "OSGeo. 2.0 proces" fits nicely in our 10th
anniversary (OSGeo is founded in 2006)!

Regards,

Gert-Jan

[1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/discuss/2015-September/014912.html