[OSGeo-Discuss] code of conduct: another real case

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Fri Sep 18 15:58:52 PDT 2015

Hi Peter,

Please understand that OSGeo is having its big annual conference FOSS4G
in Seoul now, and that you sent all this right before the big final day
(lots going on).  I note that you chose to send this to the entire
community, and not tell and ask me directly, since, just now you sent me
a single line message stating that it was in fact me who "did this". We
are all working so hard to promote FOSS, on our own unpaid time, giving
almost our lives to this (putting health and family and life in general
aside).  I ask you for some respect, please.

Regarding OpenHub, this apparently happened, by the logs, on 13 March
2013, me "claiming" the rasdaman project for the OSGeo listing on
OpenHub.  I vaguely remember Mateusz setting the organization up on
OpenHub and then letting me know (I think through IRC, as I cannot find
any e-mail messages), and he added me as the owner.  I believe he only
added a few projects, and then I added all of the OSGeo projects into
the OpenHub listing.

I did not do this with any ill intention. At all.  I apologize for this,
I did not mean to appear to be stealing or claiming anything, other than
listing rasdaman under the OSGeo umbrella, as I/we do for all incubating
projects.

I have logged into OpenHub (likely my first time since that same day in
2013) and undid that change.

If you have a problem with my actions, you can contact the other OSGeo
Board members directly or use the Charter members mailing list, and then
ask for repercussions against myself.  Until then I will keep trying my
best to promote all OSGeo projects and Open Source geospatial.

I hope you are well.  Hello from FOSS4G-Seoul.

Yours,

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
President, OSGeo

On 2015-09-19 1:41 AM, Peter Baumann wrote:
> just to clarify: it is a _very_ simple step: OSGeo needs to login to OpenHub
> (obviously they have one, otherwise this false claim could not have been
> established) to undo that claim. That simple.
>
> So, when will OSGeo do that?
>
> -Peter
>

> On 2015-09-18 17:02, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
>> Ok, maybe I don't understand, but why doesn't somebody just fix this issue. It
>> seems everyone agrees the listing is wrong on the site. Somebody should have a
>> cease and desist letter sent to the site to change the owner to the correct
>> name or remove the posting.
>>
>> whois openhub.net
>>
>> for the site particulars. This assumes that the person the created the posting
>> on the site is unknown or not available to change it.
>>
>> It might expedite things if BOTH osgeo and rasdaman GmbH sent similar letters
>> making similar requests so the site gets confirmation from both parties and
>> does not need to worry if this is an attempt to "steal" the listing.
>>
>> -Steve W
>>
>> On 9/18/2015 10:28 AM, Michael Gerlek wrote:
>>> I agree: Peter’s issue doesn’t seem to be a Code of Conduct issue, it
>>> seems closer to a Code of Ethics issue — but even that’s not quite
>>> right. I think this is more properly a grievance to be taken up
>>> directly with the Board.
>>>
>>> Suggestion: the CoC team right want to consider a couple lines on the
>>> wiki page that (further) clarify the intent of the Code of Conduct,
>>> as opposed to the intent of a Code of Ethics [1][2]. The two are
>>> similar in their ultimate goals, but address different areas of our
>>> professional lives and activities [3].
>>>
>>> [1] https://www.acm.org/about/code-of-ethics [2]
>>> http://www.ieee.org/about/corporate/governance/p7-8.html [3]
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethical_code