[OSGeo-Discuss] [Board] Funding code Sprints

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 00:54:50 PST 2016

You will find examples, such as an internship or google summer of code,
where several months of an individuals time can be devoted towards a
project. This is a bit of a different dynamic to a "sprint" which pulls
together individuals from all walks of life to focus on a task...

I think you will find, that with a great deal of planning and prep,
geosever team met our sprint target in January.
- http://blog.geoserver.org/2016/01/25/geoserver-code-sprint-success/

I also took part of a smaller code sprint last year which was successful:
-
http://geotoolsnews.blogspot.ca/2015/03/foss4gna-code-sprint-replacing-vecmath.html

Given the nature of our industry it is hard to fund developers from several
different organizations to work together at the same time. The key
advantage of a "sprint" is opening up a gap in the work schedule where
collaboration (and focus) can occur.

Longer sustained efforts across organizations would be amazing - but harder
to fund. An example would be the creation of the open layers 3 project.

--
Jody Garnett