[OSGeo-Discuss] Mentors money

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 29 00:14:06 PDT 2017

On 29 August 2017 at 06:59, Massimiliano Cannata
<massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> wrote:
> Jody,
> it was never an option to choose if donating the money or not. Someone
> decided on the past and this option was never asked to mentors...
> I assumed this was part of the game: get one slot by OSGeo and it retains
> the mentor's money...

Wrong assumption. Mentors decided collectively.

I mentored for GDAL during OSGeo's GSoC back in 2007.
I was explicitly asked if I, as mentor, agree to pass the money to OSGeo.
It was Frank Warmerdam (GDAL project manager at the time) or
it was someone else (Tyler Mitchell perhaps),
I lost those emails...

Wait, found it:

[SoC] Windup, and Mentor Summit, Mentor Payments
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2007-August/000173.html

followed up by agreement responses from mentors
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/soc/2007-September/thread.html

*That* is how it started.

Best regards,