[OSGeo-Discuss] Membership process & email

MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna delawen+osgeo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 09:49:25 PDT 2017

On Sep 8, 2017 6:46 PM, "Massimiliano Cannata" <
massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch> wrote:

Why not just nominate people on the list but collect seconding on online
system, like a form? SImilar to those for voting presentation at foss4g!!!

In previous years it was like this and people still flood with +1. Also,
this year people were sending proposals directly to the list instead of to
the cro.

We are rebels by nature. People will still send things to the list.

Cheers
Maxi

> The other point in favour of email is the discussion aspect, with the
> board only reviewing -1 votes we are relying our the discussion list to
> review candidates.
>
> --
> Jody Garnett
>
> On 8 September 2017 at 07:36, Jorge Sanz <jsanz at osgeo.org> wrote:
>
>> Agree, I don't think I'd like a nomination period + election being
>> by some announcements.
>>
>> On the other hand, answering with a +1 on a mailing list is quick and
>> easy (and annoying if you don't use filters on your email).
>>
>> The off list option, like adding a comment on the wiki, (IMO) would be
>> followed by fewer people and read by even fewer people. We are all lazy by
>> nature, and an election process is not the most exciting activity we do.
>>
>> I agree the process can be improved, but when thinking about election
>> procedures, as boring as they are, we need to put the reduction of
>> participation barriers as a top priority if we want to reach the broadest
>> audience, at least once per year.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm super happy to see such a big number of nominations, and I
>> want to thank Vasile for the hard work and long hours he's dedicating to
>> try to cup with such a demonstration of enthusiasm.
>>
>> My 2 cents
>>

>> On 8 September 2017 at 15:15, Volker Mische <volker.mische at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I think it's valuable to have the nominations being sent to the discuss
>>> list, but I agree that seconding them should be off list.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>   Volker

>>> and a

>>> check

>>> expanding!

>>> election.

>> --
>> Jorge Sanz
>> http://www.osgeo.org
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Jorge_Sanz

*Massimiliano Cannata*

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14 <+41%2058%20666%2062%2014>

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09 <+41%2058%20666%2062%2009>

massimiliano.cannata at supsi.ch

*www.supsi.ch/ist <http://www.supsi.ch/ist>*