[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct... followup to avoid lobbies

Ben Caradoc-Davies ben at transient.nz
Tue Dec 18 12:40:46 PST 2018

I support this idea. It would be analogous to academic journals that
require authors to declare any conflicts of interest.

We might also adopt a rule, if we do not already have one, that, when
voting, members should act only to further the goals of OSGeo. While I
do not expect that it would happen, I would not like to see an member
vote for a client or employer in exchange for consideration. Adopting an
explicit rule would, in my view, help members resist external pressure.

We must also balance the risk of lobbies with the need to support
members who are promoting OSGeo within their large organisations. Having
several members in an organisation allows them to support each other in
what can otherwise be a lonely position. Promotion of OSGeo through
mentoring and development of new members is one of our most valuable
forms of corporate outreach. In my view, any new rules should support
and not discourage these outreach activities. Transparent disclosure may
be sufficient and better than proscriptive rules.

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben at transient.nz>