[OSGeo-Discuss] Code of Conduct... followup to avoid lobbies

Andrea Giacomelli pibinko at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:23:58 PST 2018

Hi -

I have been following this discussion with interest...however lately I
don't always follow OSGEO Discuss in a timely manner, so I don't have all
the elements fresh with me and I apologise.

As a former vice-president and external relations guy for the Italian OSGEO
Chapter, and having before and after been involved in other community-based
organisations (both virtual and with feet-on-the-ground)...

my question is: is it better to invest time and energy to define a code of
conduct to avoid lobbies, or to acknowledge that the behaviour termed by
some Western civilizations as "lobbying" is pretty much human and should
just be factored in a process (while acknowledging that there are also many
individuals and organisations that *do not* use it and have the same right
to play their game)?

I don't see a big issue with lobbies as long as they are declared.

Andrea Giacomelli
Culture, Environment, Open Innovation
http://www.pibinko.org
info at pibinko.org