[OSGeo-Discuss] Letter from the new OSGeo President

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 07:50:04 PST 2018

Thanks Maria! We all look forward to this chapter of the OSGeo story :)

As chair of the incubation committee can I make an appeal for volunteers,
if you enjoy open source and would like to help development teams get
started (with either open source or joining our foundation) we would like
to hear from you.

To join the committee all you need to do is sign up to the mailing list
<https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/incubator> and introduce yourself
(here is an example
<https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/incubator/2018-January/003518.html>).
You can also step out at any time. There is no requirement to be a mentor,
although mentors are welcome. If open source matters to you please visit
our incubation committee <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubation_Committee>
(wiki) page to learn how we opperate and how you can help out.

Topics we are working on this month include:

1) What is required for open source projects to be listed on our new
website? How to protect against open source projects in license only (that
require an api-key to access data and/or services).
2) What are the advantages of joining the foundation as an "osgeo
community" project? And what should we expect of community projects, should
they have made a release?
3) How can we use our budget to support our projects in the incubation
program.
4) What content to take from /old.www.osgeo.org/incubator  to the wiki
<https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiGpZbb-PDYAhVN92MKHaAYDbkQFggpMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwiki.osgeo.org%2Fwiki%2FIncubation_Committee&usg=AOvVaw3XNQtuKzie0zxgfSUdrcma>

--
Jody Garnett