[OSGeo-Discuss] [Geo4All] Draft of Open Letter on the importance to protecting independent peer review frameworks for Scholarly publications of Scientific Associations

Christian Willmes c.willmes at uni-koeln.de
Wed Jul 25 01:53:08 PDT 2018

Hi Peter,

good point! And fair enough for your example on SQL which is an open
standard and thus reproducible in theory and practice. My Point is more
general, although it may not be 100% thought through yet, so comments
are welcome. My argumetation on this is as follows:

Scientific publications that deal for example with a GIS analysis on a
specific topic, should be published in a way, that any reader of that
study can practically reproduce its analysis and its results.

 From my point of view, for > 90% of publications in the GIS domain,
this is not the case yet, either caused by constraints in data
availability or software availability, or mostly by just the lack of
precise documentation and citation of the data sources and the conduct
of the processing workflow of the study. Hardware constraints are also a
thing, but I think this should not be the concern of the scientist, to
ensure his/her research is open and transparent and in practice and
theory reproducible.

Software wise, it would be from my point of view plain unscientific, if
the results in the publication are produced with a proprietary ("point
and click" without detailed documentation of processing steps taken)
software, and additionally are not reproducible without a license of
that software. Thus I would demand, to be able to label something Open
Science or reproducible Science, access to the software (or at least
precise definitions of how it is implemented, for example the source
code) for reproducing the results must be a given. For example a script
executing all the commands for the analysis workflow conducted, would do
this precisely. If the script uses closed software, this would be less
open compared to a script that uses open software.

But in the end I am sure, that these kinds of reproducible research
publications, will end up using open source or at least open access
(free for scientific use) software, because it will just generate more
impact, if also Scientists with less access to expensive software can
also built upon this research results and cite it accordingly...

Think also about the positive feedback from science funding for
development of open software instead of paying for licenses, researchers
would pay programmers or companies that offer according programming
solutions to develop software for their scientific needs and interests.
The aspect that this open approach adheres also better to the
understanding of how science works or should work in general, is also an
important point.

Best regards,
Christian