[OSGeo-Discuss] [Geo4All] GeoForAll - what can YOU DO THIS YEAR to move us forward on geoeducation
Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 23:19:39 PDT 2019
Thank you for the excellent ideas and inputs. This is very helpful for moving our community forward. This now added to the agenda at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mTgLetei863hY2a-oz0PMy9ejcT6HkEq5IqZG1k8Wn4/edit?usp=sharing
I volunteer to help you and be the "organizing chair/moderator" of this GeoForAll community miniconference for the World Commons Week. Please let me know the exact day/time and I will coordinate this with Rafael. I thank all colleagues who volunteered to present for this webinar mini conference. Your help and support is greatly appreciated.
I would also like to add one more agenda item on GeoForAll support for STEM education in schools especially for economically poor students globally. I came across an excellent initiative for widening STEM education opportunities for female students that GEO is involved in Ghana at http://earthobservations.org/geo_blog_obs.php?id=368
GeoForAll is committed to support STEM education opportunities for women. As many GEO colleagues will be at FOSS4G, I suggest that we reach out to GEO and explore ways for working together for expanding STEM education opportunities for students globally.
From: Charlie Schweik <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>
Sent: 21 August 2019 16:00
To: Suchith Anand <ezasa7 at exmail.nottingham.ac.uk>
Cc: GeoForAll <GeoForAll at lists.osgeo.org>; discuss at lists.osgeo.org <discuss at lists.osgeo.org>
Subject: Re: [Geo4All] GeoForAll - what can YOU DO THIS YEAR to move us forward on geoeducation
Hi Andreea, Suchith and other GeoForAll/OSGeo colleagues,
(Sorry I won't be there next week).
Again, one tangible GeoForAll community building effort we can do is to start an annual GeoForAll community webinar mini-conference, as part of this World Commons Week (October 6-12)<https://wcw2019.iasc-commons.org/local-events/> I am organizing. Open Source Geospatial projects are an important subset of "world commons" digital projects. I hope in the GeoForAll BOF meeting this idea of a mini-conference as part of this global event can be discussed and refined. It will also help draw attention to OSGeo/GeoForAll by others who need geospatial technologies to study natural resource commons who don't know about them.
But from my previous posts on this idea, here are the colleagues who responded and signaled their interest to do this (thanks to those below!). I'm not sure each wanted to present something or not?
* Victor N.Sunday, Team Coordinator, UniqueMappersTeam, Port Harcourt Nigeria. -- Open Source and Open Data for All
* Suchith Anand Dr. Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition By webinar United Kingdom -- Open Principles in Science and Education
* Sergio Acosta y Lara, Architect Comunidad gvSIG, Uruguay, Montevideo Uruguay -- Experiences from the 3rd edition of the course-contest Projects with students and gvSIG Batoví
* Victoria Rautenbach, Dr University of Pretoria Pretoria South Africa. GeoNode for data management and sharing
* Paulo Cesar Coronado, Engineer, Universidad Distrital Francsico José de Caldas, Bogota Colombia. SIG con herramientas OSGeo (GIS with OSGeo tools)
But this is a nice cross-section of some of the GeoForAll labs. Raphael Moreno has nicely agreed to use his webinar platform.
QUESTIONS, maybe for the BOF meeting:
1) What is the goal of such a online "mini-conference"? I would argue it would be to learn what other labs are doing and to build a richer dialog across labs.
2) Would each of these people listed want to present, say, for 15-30 minutes about their topics or lab activities? Anyone else want to participate?
3) What day/time range during the week of October 6-12 would we want to run this GeoForAll community online miniconference?
4) Is there someone in the GeoForAll community who would be willing to help me and be the "organizing chair/moderator" of this GeoForAll community miniconference? With me running the broader event I don't think I can do this.
I hope this is helpful and moves the community forward in a small way.
On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 4:28 AM Suchith Anand <Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk<mailto:Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk>> wrote:
Thanks to Andreea, Victoria and all colleagues working for GeoForAll meeting next week. Andreea will be sending the draft agenda for you all to provide inputs. Even if you are not able to attend FOSS4G 2019 GeoForAll meeting, I request you to share your inputs/ideas on how we can move forward on our education aims.
For the GeoForAll Como meeting in 2015 , Charlie had created the following 4 key questions for discussing . I think it is an excellent idea that we need to use for our community meetings to get everyone's inputs.
* Geo4All - What would you like to see Geo4All in 5 years -- 2020 -- in the context of educational collaboration?
* Geo4All - What we need to do together to achieve this vision?
* Geo4All - What can we do THIS YEAR to move forward?
* Geo4All - What can YOU DO THIS YEAR to move us toward this vision?
May i request all to reflect and share your ideas. Esp. we are interested to hear on "what can YOU DO THIS YEAR to move us toward this vision?". Thanks.
GeoForAll mailing list
GeoForAll at lists.osgeo.org<mailto:GeoForAll at lists.osgeo.org>
Department of Environmental Conservation & School of Public Policy
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and
Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored
where permitted by law.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Discuss