[OSGeo-Discuss] R: 2019 OSGeo UN Committee Educational Challenge

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Sun May 19 12:28:01 PDT 2019

Hi Maria,

 > People with more than 40 years can apply.

Yes but they suffer a 20% penalty, that's a very significant penalty and
is explicitly discriminatory against what is commonly considered a
"protected attribute" (age), hence my raising the issue.

 > Moeover the scores will be compensated by their experience,

The problem with this is that you are assuming that people >=40 have
experience with both writing proposals and giving training.
Statistically they're more likely to have such experience but it's by no
means guaranteed, it depends entirely on their career path.

If you want experienced writers then evaluate for experienced writers.
If you want inexperienced writers so you can teach them (which isn't the
explicit goal of the Challenge as far as I can see, though it could be
implied by the existence of mentors), then evaluate and pick
inexperienced. Age should not be a factor, only experience.

Cheers,

Jonathan