[OSGeo-Discuss] Mailing lists to discourse migration

Vicky Vergara vicky at erosion.dev
Wed Dec 27 08:36:40 PST 2023

Hi all

I am sending you a link about how discourse treats the users
https://blog.discourse.org/2018/06/understanding-discourse-trust-levels/

On Wed, Dec 27, 2023 at 10:00 AM Eli Adam <eadam at co.lincoln.or.us> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm also unclear on what is going on.  It looks like discourse options are
> being added.  This raises questions about mailing lists.  1. Are mailing
> lists going away?

No, they are not going away
We are just giving options, different communities have different needs
Different people have different ways of working together
This
[1] https://discourse.osgeo.org/c/pgrouting/pgrouting-dev/17
is a mirror of
[2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pgrouting-dev/
As you can see on [2] you can not reply you can only browse the mail
archives.
On [1] happens the same.
The only way to have a reply is by sending a mail to the corresponding
mailing list

here:
[3] https://discourse.osgeo.org/c/qgis/qgis-fr-user/5
the QGIS french group of users decided that discourse was better for them
and they will not use the mailing list anymore
So the mailing list was moved and we are giving a month's time for people
to go to discourse.
Anything arriving to the mailing list at this moment of time is not going
to be published in discourse. Because it is not a mirror, on it people can
reply using discourse or sending a mail to qgis-fr-users at
discourse.osgeo.org
but the mailing list archives will be kept

Of course, for obvious reasons, I can not git you a link to a private
mailing lists
They want to remain private and want to remain on the mailing list.
But another example, pgRouting did not have a public/private mailing list
for its PSC, and we opted to have a private category within discourse.
Already there but you can not see it, you are not part of the group that
can see that category.

2. Can projects choose to keep just the mailing list and not add dicourse?

Yes!
Also they can have a category on discourse without a mailing list, but with
a discourse mail
Like this one:
https://discourse.osgeo.org/t/about-the-sac-website-category/301
(read about the trust levels)