[DotNet-OSGeo] More introductions and a joint development proposal...

Harold Dunsford hadunsford at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 17:41:54 EDT 2010

So the rendering is at the top level.  This way, projects that use the same
layering, symbology, and data access can simply swap out what they use for
rendering pretty easily.  Right now the C# MapWindow6 Map control is 2D and
draws with GDI+.  However, we have a very early prototype for a DirectX 3D
map that is built on top of the same framework for the non-drawing
components.  Both implement a single IMap interface, so as far as the legend
component is concerned, we can unplug one map and plug in another very
easily.

Dan and I are interested in moving the code that we have for the various
MapWindow 6 components into the System.Spatial namespace, and then the code
will be centrally located so that we can focus as a larger group on how to
refactor these code libraries to better suit the multiple kinds of projects
that are out there.  There are, for example, going to be silverlight
projects that are allergic to the Forms and GDI+ drawing.  At the same time,
there are mono friendly projects that cannot work with WPF, but might be
able to digest silverlight (moonlight).  I'm currently working in .Net 3.5,
but there are purportedly some major advantages to switching to 4.0, like
allowing silverlight projects to reference libraries that are not
silverlight.

So maybe the first step is to make a basic dump of what we have and then
start getting feedback from the community on how we can go about refactoring
things to help as many people as possible.  Again, we want a bazaar, not a
cathedral in this environment.

Dr. Harold A. Dunsford Jr.  (Ted)
Dept. Geosciences
Idaho State University