[OSGeo-Edu] Re: OEGEO Logo

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Mon Aug 14 02:53:13 EDT 2006

My comments/questions on this:

- I have a similar tutorial PDF from you for QGIS, both look from
surface good for the purpose of an hands-on course, perhaps also for
self-learning (I'll try to get a student(s) of ours to use them, then I
can perhaps say more). You shoud add the metadata to the tutorials: your
name, copyright etc (this is important!). You should also consider
submitting them to the OSGeo library and/or submitting them into
community development as OSGeo books. Did you inform MapWindow and QGIS
people about the tutorial books? By the way, Puneet et al, how would the
layout & content (images, colors, fonts) of this book work in the
proposed wiki platform?

- I assume this is mostly a computer classroom course, where all
students use their own computer? How does a typical class go, are they
more independently paced or more mimicking the instructor? What is the
instructor/nr of students ratio? How many hours of instruction? Are
there any homeworks, exams? How do you check "completed to satisfaction"?

- Regarding the certificates: it would feel more natural to me to have
the organization offering the instruction to be on the top of the
certificate, i.e., the certificate is given by it and not by OSGeo. Also
I'd expect a bit more metadata: how large the course is (hours again)
etc. I'd have OSGeo mentioned as we are now discussing: "An OSGeo
recognized course". If you are mentioning specific software like UDig or
MapWindow, then equally important would be a recognition of the course
from the developers of the software.

Thank you very much for your commitment and work on the tutorials,

Ari