[OSGeo-Edu] Re: OEGEO Logo

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Aug 14 13:01:52 EDT 2006

Hi,
I've been away from email and am now going through the various edu.osgeo
emails. My comments on Gary's tutorials, for what they are worth:

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 06:47 -0400, watry at steam.coaps.fsu.edu wrote:
> Quoting Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at tkk.fi>:

> > both look from surface good for the purpose of an hands-on course,
> > perhaps also for self-learning (I'll try to get a student(s) of ours
> > to use them, then I
> > can perhaps say more).
> ----- This course is intnded to be self paced, distant learning with
> classroom instructor help to subliment it. Idaho state University is
> looking into taking several tutorials and making it a lab course for
> credit.-----
They look good to me too after doing a relatively quick look.

> > You shoud add the metadata to the tutorials: your name, copyright etc
> > (this is important!).
> -----Will do so. There is no copywright at this point, after all it is
> open source.-----
I agree with Ari, Gary. You should put some author attribution
information on the header of these, and some copyright of some sort
(maybe not all rights reserved, but you probably want to reserve some
rights, like some acknowledgment to you). On the ones we are developing,
I'm thinking of using the Creative Commons
"Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike" license
(http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/). Unless others feel
for edu.OSGEO we should use the Gnu Free Documentation License instead.
If you don't want to allow new derivative works you might want to use
the "attribution-noderivs" license
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.5/

> > You should also consider submitting them to the OSGeo library and/or
> >  submitting them into community development as OSGeo books.
> -----Okay, at some point-----
>
> > Did you inform MapWindow and QGIS people about the tutorial books? By
> > the way,
> > Puneet et al, how would the layout & content (images, colors, fonts)
> > of this > book work in the proposed wiki platform?
I am developing my Intro to OSGIS material on a separate MediaWiki
application on a server at UMass right now. I'm thinking that once we
have it done, I can set up links to it on the edu.osgeo wiki or whatever
platform (e.g. Drupal). Perhaps release 1 can be moved to OSgeo too
after it is completed.

I think Gary's doing a great job in terms of making these relatively
modular. So the question is if he would allow for new derivatives what
format he wants to serve his material and on what platform it is to
reside.

> > How do you check "completed to satisfaction"?
> -----I get all the tutorial questions answered and submitted back to me -----
>
> > - Regarding the certificates: it would feel more natural to me to have
> > the organization offering the instruction to be on the top of the
> > certificate, i.e., the certificate is given by it and not by OSGeo.
> -----okay, can I use the logo in the corner----- Where the software has
> an extablished logo like Quatnum GIS, I will put that logo on the other
> corner-----
I think what Ari is describing is how I am thinking about this. I like
what Gary is doing and I think this is a nice complement... having a
suite of online course options. Gary, does this capture what you are
thinking(?):

1. Online class completion certificates. Like what Gary is I think
offering. This is similar to online courses in software that some
companies provide. Some printable certificate or something sent upon
completion of the course but no college credits. Following Ari's comment
it might have some logo at the top from Gary's institution. But would it
have any reference to OSGEO somewhere? I think it probably should...

2. Short 1-credit college credit. This is what I think Gary is
suggesting with Iowa State. So this would be an official credit hour
from Iowa State. But the course material I think should probably
reference OSGeo somewhere -- at least, that it is a module that is part
of the broader OSGeo effort. Perhaps we need some generic statement
(part of the header metadata) for all modules that say this.

3. Full 3-credit course. This is what I am trying to develop for Spring
2007. Same as #2 but more credits. In this course I intend to have a
semester-long project that we help the student with using the wiki and
also UMass' "WebCT" system. But the raw content for the course will be
open access and made available via OSgeo for others to use and derive
new works from either through my mediawiki or on an OSGeo platform,
eventually.

> > I'd have OSGeo mentioned as we are now discussing: "An OSGeo
> > recognized course".
> ----- Okay, that goes with the use of the OSGEO Logo-----

I think it is great that Gary wants to do this. Right now we are trying
to build a larger community and by having this connection it helps do
that. I think the idea of it being a course certificate from Gary's
institution but that it is a "recognized OSGEO course" might be the
right way to think about it.

Gary may be trying to finalize this and maybe you discussed this on the
IRC that I missed. But Puneet - is Gary still waiting for an "official"
answer from the group?

> > Thank you very much for your commitment and work on the tutorials,

I agree Gary. thanks for your efforts (as well as your willingness to
share your earlier QGIS work) and I look forward to continuing our
collaborative efforts.

Right now we're trying to get our arms around the QGIS-GRASS effort, but
I find myself wondering about introducing students to MapWindow too. I
wasn't as familiar with that when I started this project. In some way,
I'll try and promote it (and maybe this certificate) in my material.

Cheers
Charlie Schweik