[OSGeo-Edu] open course ware from Penn State

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 11:58:46 EDT 2007

On 4/21/07, Charlie Schweik <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu> wrote:
> Ian,
>
> I've only spent a short amount of time looking at your class, but from
> what I've seen I think it looks great! Nice job.
>
> A couple of small items on the website design (apologies if I missed
> something):

[I've passed these comments on to our designer]

> Lastly, I looked quickly at your license. It isn't apparent to me what
> someone would put at the bottom of a new derivative if they built off of
> your work in the future. Should that be described more clearly
> somewhere, maybe in your syllabus?

That's a good question what do people think CC requires you to put at
the bottom of a new work?

> Finally, given my material is nearly ready for release to OSGEO, I've
> been trying to figure out how we can set up a system for tracking new
> derivatives, logging changes made, and tracking author attribution. Have
> you thought about that at all?

I haven't really thought it through yet, but probably some sort of svn
server with the html in it might work best. Ideally I'd like to flesh
the course out into a book so I'd like some way to build the course
and the book from the same base files into different styles, but that
might just be a displacement activity to avoid any actual writing :-)

> Again, looks really great to me, without digging in deep into the
> content. But the main topics seem excellent and I like the course
> overview map.

Thanks

Ian
--