[OSGeo-Edu] New OSGeo education web pages and meeting summary

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 09:53:36 EDT 2007

On 9/29/07, Venkatesh Raghavan <raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp> wrote:
> Hi Puneet and others
>
> P Kishor wrote:
> > Anyway, all that said, I would be happy to step down and make way for
> > someone more capable at leading the edu charge.
>
> My personal opinion is that any Committee Chair who cannot
> be at an BOF (f2f) over the period of two consecutive FOSS4G
> conferences, for whatever the reasons maybe, has to step down.

Actually, given the way things are, I will likely not be at the next
BOF/meeting as well. My estimate is that traveling to FOSS4G would
have cost me upward of $2000 out of my pocket, which currently is
about 10% of my annual income. There is no way I can justify that kind
of expense, now or in the future.

I believe that occasional face-to-face presence is absolutely
remarkable in what it can accomplish, but I very strongly disagree
with Venka's opinion on making it a mandatory condition for a
committee chair. Perhaps there are others who can guarantee a personal
presence... I certainly can't. This is not a paid position, and has
absolutely zero financial support (I have been printing business cards
from my personal budget).

> I am sure that Puneet will continue contributing to the OSGeo
> Edu project,even after stepping down as chair of the Edu Committee.

Certainly. I am and will be a part of OSGeo, whether or not I chair a
committee. The beauty of OSGeo is that one doesn't even need be a
member in order to contribute. Nothing of that changes, and if
anything, makes me freer to pursue open geospatial advocacy at my own
schedule.

> I hope that Charlie or whomsoever that the Edu Committee decides
> would do the "baton touch" and lead the Edu Committee with renewed
> vigour that FOSS4G2007 has instilled in all
> those who attended it.

I don't think there is an election process. I was appointed the Chair
because I volunteered for it, and Markus Neteler nominated (it was
promised as a position with minimal administrative responsibilities,
but keep in mind, these responsibilities have a habit of growing with
time, maturity, and activities of the committee). I foresee an
increased pressure on my time schedule which would constrain my
voluntary activities ever more so in the future.

I would wholeheartedly support Charlie (or anyone else) for the Chair
if he is willing to take over. Venka, perhaps you would like to step
in and take the Chair as you might have access to the funds necessary
for guaranteeing a physical presence at FOSS4G.

I am cc-ing this to Frank and Tyler (although they might be on this
list already) so they may institute the necessary steps to effect a
change of Chair. I think this is as good a time as any for a change.

--
Puneet Kishor
http://punkish.eidesis.org/