[OSGeo-Edu] eGIS+

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri Apr 11 12:13:35 EDT 2008

Mateusz Loskot kirjoitti:
> I'm sure you are right in some extent but considering scale of
> success of initiatives like UNIGIS in Europe, there is a lot of
> people who are interesting in good e-learning on GIS.
>
> Regardless of possible doubts, I think it could be valuable in as far
> as collaboration on preparing lectures, materials, etc.
> The OSGeo Free GIS Book and conference materials are what I have in
> mind, for instance.
> It could be also an interesting way to spread OSGeo activities and
> software solutions.

I agree that FOSS tools are or woud be perfect for distance learning.
However, I'm yet to see (or know how to do it myself) a good distance
teaching packages. I usually overestimate what students can do and end
up having to teach stuff almost personally -- by circulating in the
computer class and giving advice. However, the feedback I get is it that
students often find it good to having to struggle.

Our (at least my) current conclusion in Finland (after spending >300 k€
on GIS developing distance education) is that it really does not work
very well. Of course there are some successes and other reasons for the
non-working than the basic idea.

Cheers,

Ari

--