[OSGeo-Edu] eGIS+

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Apr 11 14:37:54 EDT 2008

Ari Jolma wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot kirjoitti:
>> I'm sure you are right in some extent but considering scale of
>> success of initiatives like UNIGIS in Europe, there is a lot of
>> people who are interesting in good e-learning on GIS.
>>
>> Regardless of possible doubts, I think it could be valuable in as far
>> as collaboration on preparing lectures, materials, etc.
>> The OSGeo Free GIS Book and conference materials are what I have in
>> mind, for instance.
>> It could be also an interesting way to spread OSGeo activities and
>> software solutions.
>
> I agree that FOSS tools are or woud be perfect for distance learning.

Right, that's my point as well.

> However, I'm yet to see (or know how to do it myself) a good distance
> teaching packages. I usually overestimate what students can do and end
> up having to teach stuff almost personally -- by circulating in the
> computer class and giving advice. However, the feedback I get is it that
> students often find it good to having to struggle.
 >
> Our (at least my) current conclusion in Finland (after spending >300 k€
> on GIS developing distance education) is that it really does not work
> very well. Of course there are some successes and other reasons for the
> non-working than the basic idea.

Teaching and making workshops is not a piece of cake at all. It's
difficult and requires hard work to make it well and get students happy.
I'm sure your insigths are very accurate.

I'll stay in touch with people from eGIS+ and will drop a note here
about opportunities interesting for OSGeo in that project.

Greetings
--
Mateusz Loskot
http://mateusz.loskot.net