[OSGeo-Edu] Question on using Open Source GIS in liberal arts colleges

Jon Caris Jcaris at email.smith.edu
Wed Jul 9 22:39:58 EDT 2008

Greetings FOSS4G enthusiasts,

I'm currently researching the benefits of introducing and integrating
Open Source Geospatial applications into the software mix in our GIS
lab.  Recent discussions on developing educational content lead me to
believe the time is right to float this question.

Allow me to set the scene for you and then I welcome your thoughts and
advice on how best to proceed.

Situation:

We are a small, selective (2500 students) 4 year liberal arts college
in western Massachusetts.  We began Teaching With GIS ~ 1999/2000.  We
have a dedicated Spatial Analysis Lab that serves the entire campus
community with one staff member.  We have a very reasonably priced site
license for ArcGIS (including ArcGIS Server) through a 5 College
consortium.  Our primary objective is teaching spatial literacy in
contrast to vocational GIS software training.

We recently introduced an introductory GIS course,  and a couple
Geology classes incorporate many GIS methods and analysis.  However, the
majority of “GIS activity” comes in the form of classes utilizing
GIS for 1 to 2 weeks per semester.  For example, a vertebrate biology
class might locate features using GPS and then map and analyze the
distribution to various landscape features using GIS.  The focus is
spatial arrangement and the biological significance to the distribution
of features.  Most classes do not have the time (and perhaps interest)
in fully understanding the GIS tools used to display or generate the
feature distribution.

So, given the above, what is the motivation to incorporate open source
GIS applications?

I’m inclined to begin introducing Open Source apps, but I can’t
live fast and furious without just reason.  And, life is short and my
plate is more than full.

Remember,

* We have most of the ESRI goodies (cost is not much of an issue)
* A one person shop (time is an issue);
* No graduate students (limited “free” human resources)
* Gifted undergraduates, but not necessarily geo heads

Many thanks and I’ll certainly do my best to summarize the

Jon

p.s. I may be sending out a more formal survey shortly, but I’d like
to hear unrestricted comments from the community first.